Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

EARLY WITHDRAW SUPER FOR NON RESIDENT

Views 1556

Replies 13

Hello ATO team,

I am so tired of the rules now and really shocked. There is discrimination during Covid - 19 emergency situation now, we are waiting for our PR, and we are holding Bridging visa. We work look like a citizen or PR, we pay punctually tax and super.

Why cannot we early withdraw our superannuation? WHY? You guys know this case now, I need money to spend important essential things like food, we need to eat like you guys. We cannot apply for support from Centrelink, how can we survive now? we need justice here. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 12

Hi @KDHO

It's a very uncertain time for everyone. 

Residency isn't part of the Early release of Superannuation eligibility criteria If you meet the criteria you can apply through your myGov account in mid April;

This is the eligibility;

You are eligible to access your superannuation if you meet any of the following criteria:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.

On or after 1 January 2020, either    

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
  • your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more, if you are a sole trader.

Hope this helps you.

KylieS

13 REPLIES 13

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 12

Hi @KDHO

It's a very uncertain time for everyone. 

Residency isn't part of the Early release of Superannuation eligibility criteria If you meet the criteria you can apply through your myGov account in mid April;

This is the eligibility;

You are eligible to access your superannuation if you meet any of the following criteria:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.

On or after 1 January 2020, either    

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
  • your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more, if you are a sole trader.

Hope this helps you.

KylieS

Replies 11

Thanks for your essential information now. You know, there are many rumours that make us so confused and worry.

Community Moderator

Replies 10

HI @KDHO,

Completely understand. We are happy to answer any questions that you have. 

KylieS

Replies 0

Replies 0

Thank you so much

Replies 7

Hello ATO team, please confirm is it official informations?

Australian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for the scheme. New Zealand citizens with Australian held super are also eligible. Temporary residents are not eligible.

We are holding bridging visa and waiting for our PR. We do not have a job, our finances is reducing. How can we survive now? We just want to use our super to buy food to eat like everyone to survive. The super is just own my money. We work and pay the tax and super like citizen and pr. How can we survive this covid19 situation now? Please give us solutions now.
How is your justice?

Community Moderator

Replies 6

Hi @KDHO

We have advised that residency is not part of the eligibility for early release of super. 

The Job keeper payment is still being discussed Parliament and could undergo changes before it becomes law. As soon as it passes we will update our website to provide further information.

You may have seen the  information on the Treasury website regarding eligibility.

We will also be keeping our JobKeeper news article up to date to assist you if there are any changes.

KylieS

Replies 5

Thanks for your supporting information,

I have linked my "Mygov" account with ATO service. However, when I clicked on "Compassionate release of superannuation" task to complete apply for withdrawing, I cannot finish it because there is a checklist " I am a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand", I do not click on that because we are not PR or citizen, we are holding bridging visa and wait for our PR now. As Prime Minister said in the morning, "In line with changes being made for Australian citizens and permanent residents, most temporary visa holders with work rights will now be able to access their Australian superannuation to help support themselves during this crisis". Therefore,

How can I apply through "Mygov" now because of " I am a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand" checklist?

There is any update further, like " I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand" checklist on the "compassionate release of super" task on ATO website for non-residents to apply. What will we do next now?

Community Moderator

Replies 4

Hi @KDHO,

You are able to register your interest on the first screen when you log into myGov. It is not available to apply to mid April.

KylieS