Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Early access of superannuation.

Views 546

Replies 3

Good day,

I am writing this today to get more information and answers of this very complex and ridiculous new rule/law, that temporary visa holders can not access “THEIR” money like everyone else?

My situation, I am on a Partner visa (But live here for over 6 years in Australia.) therefore as we just applied nearly a year ago on a bridging visa.

I am not legit to release up to $10,000 in the financial year 2020-2021.

- Why? As it is my money I worked for!

- Is there a specific reason? As I cannot see a issue why it matters that “ANYONE” should be able to release their super in a global pandemic to support them self, with their money earned by their/my work I have done in the last few years!

- Also why is it so difficult to get hold to any person at the ATO or Federal government employer to get these questions answered?

Last I just want to mention, I am originally from Austria. My best friend from Austria married a Australian women she moved there. They just applied for their Partner visa. As they go not even thru the same stress and the complex partner visa steps and issues and not to forget the $10.000 of dollars less they have to pay. I can compare her situation with mine.

She gets all the support of the government there but, it seems here in Australia you really want to push everyone out.

I love this country, well maybe I did love it after all the issues I and my partner/fiancé born and raised in Australia.

I don’t get any support of the ATO to release my super early.

I do not get any job keeper as I changed profession and study and work casual just less then 12 month what would have been required for me to get JopKeeper.

I do not get any other support.

I do not even want money form Centrelink. I want my money I earned over the years. Money, that we pay into super to keep up safe in times of unemployment after going into retirement or if we face a “GLOBAL”
pandemic! For what should I safe the money if need it now as I suffer.

The Government is so worried about mental health, but to me no one cares about mental health from people in my situation.

And yes I would like to leave and going back to my country where I would and so you would get supported. But I do have made my own family here. And I cannot just leave and go.

I am really on my limits mentally, I am angry, sad and so confused why I am not worth anything in the perspective of this government that the $10.000 which would help me and my family so much for comfort and incoming bills which are not subsidised

But no one listens, all I get is getting pushed from the ATO to a MP the office of the MP advised me to contact the ATO the ATO advised me to go to the federal government again and no one can answer my questions.

It is a game which I feel like everyone else playing it (the government) laughs at me and I am the one desperately hoping I will archive something. I am mentally on my end I just don’t want anymore but no one no one helps. All they say is sorry but don’t really care.

So I just want to ask you kindly! Please help me and answer my questions so I might understand why I am not worth taking more out then a normal permanent resident person. Even I am so close to get my PR most probably.

I just don’t understand why I have to go thru that difficult time and get zero support. And why I cannot take “MY” money which “I” worked hard to pay into Superannuation!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Patrick_greber,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are experiencing during COVID19 pandemic.

It is important to note that our role at the ATO is to administer the law that is passed in Parliament. While we do have some influence to ensure that it can be implemented, it is ultimately decided upon by Parliament. You can find out more about how laws are made on our website.

We can't say why they decided on this, but we can say that it has been in place for some time. If you have a look at Treasury's fact sheet, you will see that the following is stated in the summary section on the first page:

Eligible temporary visa holders can also apply for a single release of up to $10,000 before 1 July 2020.

While we acknowledge there were some changes made to COVID-19 early release of super measure after it was first announced, the temporary resident application rules have been in place since April.

For more information about COVID-19 early release of super, have a look at our website.

You may also look at other conditions of release to access your super here.

Regards,

Jodie2.  

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Patrick_greber,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are experiencing during COVID19 pandemic.

It is important to note that our role at the ATO is to administer the law that is passed in Parliament. While we do have some influence to ensure that it can be implemented, it is ultimately decided upon by Parliament. You can find out more about how laws are made on our website.

We can't say why they decided on this, but we can say that it has been in place for some time. If you have a look at Treasury's fact sheet, you will see that the following is stated in the summary section on the first page:

Eligible temporary visa holders can also apply for a single release of up to $10,000 before 1 July 2020.

While we acknowledge there were some changes made to COVID-19 early release of super measure after it was first announced, the temporary resident application rules have been in place since April.

For more information about COVID-19 early release of super, have a look at our website.

You may also look at other conditions of release to access your super here.

Regards,

Jodie2.  

Devotee

Replies 1

@Jodie2 

some of your links are not working .... 

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dirk and @Patrick_greber,

Thank you for the feedback. All links are working now in the event you required further information.

Regards,

Jodie2.