Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Eligibility criteria for early release of super COVID-19

Views 857

Replies 3

Hi, one the eligibility criteria for citizens and permanent residents of Australia to access early super is that I am ELIGIBLE to receive one of the following: parenting payment is listed. I believe I am still eligible to receive parenting payment however as my partner is disabled, Centrelink advises to keep me on carer’s payment as it’s more beneficial. I assume I am still eligible, even tho I am currently not
Receiving that payment but for those circumstances only. I will call Centrelink to confirm I am still eligible
for parenting payment for my kids despite them paying me another payment instead. Is there anything else you think I should consider or am I looking at it the wrong way?
Kind regards,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Stevo,

You are correct. The wording stipulates that if you are 'eligible' for parenting payments, meaning you have been found eligible by Centrelink, regardless of whether you have opted to receive them you will also be eligible for early access to Super.

I hope that helps!

Josh

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Stevo,

You are correct. The wording stipulates that if you are 'eligible' for parenting payments, meaning you have been found eligible by Centrelink, regardless of whether you have opted to receive them you will also be eligible for early access to Super.

I hope that helps!

Josh

Replies 1

Hi

I am receiving Parental leave paid and I am applying for parenting payment and waiting for approval . My husbane work has been reduced a lot hours. 

I am wondering whether I am eligible to apply for early release super ?

Thank you for your time

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @LEEKIM,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To apply for Early access to your Super you need to meet at least one condition. You have until 30 June 2020 to apply for the 2020FY. You may also apply from 1 July 2020 for the 2021FY.

Under Assessing your eligibility it advises - You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

The website also advises - 'Individuals financially affected by COVID-19 can access some of their superannuation early. Individuals will not need to pay tax on amounts released and will not need to include it in their tax return.

The application is available through ATO online services in myGov.'

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.