Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Eligibility for Job Seeker payment

Highlighted

Views 173

Replies 3

Hello,

Due to Covid 19 my employment was terminated on 24th March 2020. I was a permanent full time employee in that company and working there from almost 2 years when I was stood down. Since then I've had no contact with that company. I was reading through the eligibility criteria for the Job Seeker payments and I think I’m eligible for the job seeker payments.

Does my former employers have an obligation to contact me or nominate me for the job seeker payment? Please if someone can confirm this. Much appreciated.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lal_B,

Thanks for reaching out.

You employer would needed to have re-engaged you to be eligible for the JobKeeper payment. There is information for employees who have been terminated on our website.

For information on the JobKeeper payment, you can refer to our website for eligibility requirements.

You can find information on the JobSeeker payment, offered by Services Australia, on their website.

I hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 2

There are two different things:

1. Jobseeker, which you have to file yourself via centerlink, or 

2. Jobkeeper, which you might have been eligible for while you were employed. If you are just "stood down" and your employment continues, then you might be entitled to Jobkeeper if your employer qualifies and if they sign up to the scheme (they do not have to). If your employment has been termintationed (your comments are unclear, but it seems that your employment might have been terminated), then your former employer cannot claim Jobkeeper on behalf of you. You would not be entitled to JobKeeper (which is the one that employers apply for).

Good luck

@Lal_B wrote:

Hello,

Due to Covid 19 my employment was terminated on 24th March 2020. I was a permanent full time employee in that company and working there from almost 2 years when I was stood down. Since then I've had no contact with that company. I was reading through the eligibility criteria for the Job Seeker payments and I think I’m eligible for the job seeker payments.

Does my former employers have an obligation to contact me or nominate me for the job seeker payment? Please if someone can confirm this. Much appreciated.

Regards

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks Katie,

Yes my employment was terminated on 24th March. However reading through the ATO website, it says that you are eligible for the job seeker payments If you "Were" a full time employee on 1st March 2020 of the employer who qualifies for the Job Seeker payments. 

Can you please clarify this.

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lal_B,

Thanks for reaching out.

You employer would needed to have re-engaged you to be eligible for the JobKeeper payment. There is information for employees who have been terminated on our website.

For information on the JobKeeper payment, you can refer to our website for eligibility requirements.

You can find information on the JobSeeker payment, offered by Services Australia, on their website.

I hope this helps.