Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Eligibility for early access to super COVID-19

Views 565

Replies 1

I'm struggling to work out whether ot not I am eligible to apply for early access to my super under COVID-19?

Here is my situation:

• I am the director of a private company that practices in the beauty industry which was shut for approx 2 months due to COVID-19.
  • I do admin for the company but do not take a salary because I am more interested in growth than compensation.
  • I also have a full time job that did not see a reduction in hours due to COVID-19.

Am I able to apply for early acces to my super annuation based on the reduction in hours(inabiliity to trade) from my company even though my other employment was not affected ?

I believe I should be able to, however I also do not want to do the wrong thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Belcher,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The website advises - To apply for early release, you must satisfy one or more of the following requirements:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.
  • On or after 1 January 2020, either
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you were a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more.

There is also a fact sheet on Treasury website. Or you can view further information about accessing super here. It is up to the individual to self assess.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.,

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Belcher,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The website advises - To apply for early release, you must satisfy one or more of the following requirements:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.
  • On or after 1 January 2020, either
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you were a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more.

There is also a fact sheet on Treasury website. Or you can view further information about accessing super here. It is up to the individual to self assess.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.,