Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Re: Employees on jobkeeper won't return to work even though my business is reopened

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 189

Replies 2

I have a business which was closed due to Covid. I had my employees on jobkeeper. Now one who is a casual is refusing to come back to work, saying she is sick and will be until at least the end of July (go figure) - but they want to stay on jobkeeper and be paid. I didn't think this would be possible, nor do I want to do that, but she seems to think she has a doctors certificate saying she is unfit for work and so she should be paid. She is a casual and is normally not even entitled to sick leave. Am I missing something here? I don't see how this is possible as she is clearly rorting the system, but she said that the ATO advised her she is entitled to this? I have had to employ new staff as she isn't coming in, and I won't have enough work for her by the time she decides to come back (I feel this will be after jobkeeper finished in September). What can I do here? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kittycorbo 

I am pleased to hear your business has reopened, we understand it has been a difficult year for many.

The Fair Work Ombudsmen has information on their website to assist employers during COVID-19, including if employees refuse to work hours.

I hope everything continues improving in the future for your business.

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kittycorbo 

I am pleased to hear your business has reopened, we understand it has been a difficult year for many.

The Fair Work Ombudsmen has information on their website to assist employers during COVID-19, including if employees refuse to work hours.

I hope everything continues improving in the future for your business.

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Definitely call FairWork, and probably a HR lawyer (or one of the many online HR businesses).