Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Employees on jobkeeper won't return to work even though my business is reopened

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 191

Replies 2

I have a business which was closed due to Covid. I had my employees on jobkeeper. Now one who is a casual is refusing to come back to work, saying she is sick and will be until at least the end of July (go figure) - but they want to stay on jobkeeper and be paid. I didn't think this would be possible, nor do I want to do that, but she seems to think she has a doctors certificate saying she is unfit for work and so she should be paid. She is a casual and is normally not even entitled to sick leave. Am I missing something here? I don't see how this is possible as she is clearly rorting the system, but she said that the ATO advised her she is entitled to this? I have had to employ new staff as she isn't coming in, and I won't have enough work for her by the time she decides to come back (I feel this will be after jobkeeper finished in September). What can I do here? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kittycorbo 

I am pleased to hear your business has reopened, we understand it has been a difficult year for many.

The Fair Work Ombudsmen has information on their website to assist employers during COVID-19, including if employees refuse to work hours.

I hope everything continues improving in the future for your business.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kittycorbo 

I am pleased to hear your business has reopened, we understand it has been a difficult year for many.

The Fair Work Ombudsmen has information on their website to assist employers during COVID-19, including if employees refuse to work hours.

I hope everything continues improving in the future for your business.

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Definitely call FairWork, and probably a HR lawyer (or one of the many online HR businesses).