Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Employer Eligibility for Job seeker

Highlighted

Views 416

Replies 1

I am a director of a company that receives commercial rents under $1 billion. Input taxed supplies are not included in the turnover test which implies that residetial rents are excluded from the turnover test.  Commercial rents are subject to GST.  If the company's sole income is from commercial rents and has employees, is the company an eligible employer for the Job Keeper scheme.  I have been told there are some examples but I cannot locate them?  Can someone assist please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The is a section in this fact sheet  (page 2 paragraph 2) that refers to including taxable supplies e.g. commercial rent and excluding input taxed supplies e.g. residential rent when assessing a fall in turnover.  However, I can't find a similar provision relating to the exclusion of input taxed supplies in the relevant rules or associated explanatory notes.

A further requirement is that entities other than NFPs must be carrying on a business to be eligible for Job Keeper.  Receiving rental income does not always constitute carrying on a business.  This tax ruling gives some assurance in relation to companies.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The is a section in this fact sheet  (page 2 paragraph 2) that refers to including taxable supplies e.g. commercial rent and excluding input taxed supplies e.g. residential rent when assessing a fall in turnover.  However, I can't find a similar provision relating to the exclusion of input taxed supplies in the relevant rules or associated explanatory notes.

A further requirement is that entities other than NFPs must be carrying on a business to be eligible for Job Keeper.  Receiving rental income does not always constitute carrying on a business.  This tax ruling gives some assurance in relation to companies.