Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Employer refuses to register for JobSeeker

Initiate

Views 4524

Replies 26

Hi, my partner works in fast food as a part-time employee for a locally owned store of a franchise. They have lost considerable turnover, much more than 30% most likely and have cut back hours etc.

The owner just said “JobKeeper doesn’t apply to us” however by every definition I find it JobKeeper tells me it does. Is there any reason that they wouldn’t qualify for it if they have lost 30% of turnover? Is there any way to apply for it as an employee and bypass the employer? Will measures be put into place to force employers to register? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t register but my partner is earning about $200/wk now and just wants the $1500/ft she’s entitled to. Of course it’ll help the business to not have to pay their employees! Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 11

Hi @SDCragg,

We do understand your frustration and we know there is lots of information around which can make it a little confusing.

As you know the JobKeeper payment is paid to the employer to assist with keeping the connection with their employee during this time. Unfortunately it is the employer who has to elect to participate and register the business, nominating eligible employees and it is not mandatory to participate.

I would suggest discussing this with your employer; they must also meet the criteria before registering. There is lots of information available on both the treasury website and our website to provide you more information prior to speaking to your employer.

Alternately you may like to reach out to Services Australia and consider eligibility to apply for JobSeeker.

@Cornelius, I hope this information is helpful for you too.

Good luck with everything and I hope this helps you, SueO

26 REPLIES 26

Community Moderator

Replies 25

Hi @SDCragg,

Great question, as the Job Keeper payment is being discussed in Parliament and could undergo changes before it becomes law we can't comment. As soon as it passes we will update our website to provide further information.

You can also register your interest for updates on our website. No Need to call us just click on the button and complete the form.

There is information on the Treasury website and an information pages. We will also be keeping our Job Keeper news article up to date to assist you.

Initiate

Replies 23

It requires an ABN so I can’t register for updates

Community Moderator

Replies 22

Hi @SDCragg

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct. You can only register your interest if you are a business with an ABN.

Assuming it becomes law, we will update our forum and website with further information about how the JobKeeper payment will work.

Thanks, ChrisR

Enthusiast

Replies 21

My employer she refused to register for the JobKeeper payment for her employees, including myself.

1. she says she does not support the move by the Goverment to pay those out of work because of COVID-19

2. she says if she registers she will simply be a "dole service provider" and does not see that as her role

3. she does not understand how her casuals that earn less than the JobKeeper payment should be paid $1,500 per fortnight when that is more than they earn.

What is the process which employees, who's employer refuse to register for JobKeeper, (like my colleaguesa and myself) follow to ensure

they get the JobKeeper payment to which they are entitled.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 11

Hi @SDCragg,

We do understand your frustration and we know there is lots of information around which can make it a little confusing.

As you know the JobKeeper payment is paid to the employer to assist with keeping the connection with their employee during this time. Unfortunately it is the employer who has to elect to participate and register the business, nominating eligible employees and it is not mandatory to participate.

I would suggest discussing this with your employer; they must also meet the criteria before registering. There is lots of information available on both the treasury website and our website to provide you more information prior to speaking to your employer.

Alternately you may like to reach out to Services Australia and consider eligibility to apply for JobSeeker.

@Cornelius, I hope this information is helpful for you too.

Good luck with everything and I hope this helps you, SueO

Initiate

Replies 7

Sadly they’re unwilling to discuss it at all

Enthusiast

Replies 6

SueO

As with SDCragg, my employer also refuses to discuss this further.

Given her attitude when I approached her to see if she would reconsider her refusal, to register for the JobKeeper payment, I believe she

will no longer give me shifts when she resumes operating.

I'm now left without an entitlement to which I am eligible and also with no work when the COVID-19 allows us all to get back to normality.

As I'm over retirement age I am not eligible to apply for JobSeeker nor am I eligible for Centrelink payments of any description.

To add injury to insult my employer has applied for the $10,000 payment to businesses announced today by the SA Government.

The engineers of this JobKeeper payment have failed workers abysmally.

It should have been made compulsory for businesses with eligible employees to register for the JobKeeper payments for those

employees.

Many other requirements put in place by the government due to the COVID-19 pandemic are compulsory and this payment should have

been no different.

Businesses should not have had the ability to veto for whatever reason this payment to their employees.

The government have performed appallingly.

Enthusiast

Replies 1

SueO

You say:

"We do understand your frustration and we know there is lots of information around which can make it a little confusing."

Yes, the information is frustrating, but it is in no way confusing.

The business calls the shots and the employees have no system nor recourse when the business simply does not want to pay their

employees.

I believed employees had protections under legislation, yet we have a new legislation which strips the employee of any rights to challenge

the decision of a business operator.

Extremely disappointing, frustrating - yes - confusing - no -

Enthusiast

Replies 0

A bit of further information re refusal of an employer to register for the JobKeeper payment.

I have contacted and spoken to government ministers (it took a while but I got to them) and they have advised that the employer

can decide whether they register for the JobKeeper payments **Incorrect information removed by moderator** This is simply not fair.