Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Fixed-Term/Casual Jobs

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Views 189

Replies 1

Hi,

My situation is that prior to COVID I had one casual job that I have now been let go from, one long-term casual bar job that I am eligible for JobKeeper for and one fixed-term 12 hour a week contract as a Teacher Assistant.

Up until recently I had been told that I could nominate my long-term casual job as my fixed-term job was not permanent. That was what the ATO had told me several times on the phone. The forms changed to add that you could not be nominated by your casual employer if you had permanent or fixed-term employment. So now my bar job has told me that I am not eligible for JobKeeper. They added that my hours will have to go to those who are on JobKeeper as they have more staff on JobKeeper than have hours available. So I am left with no JobKeeper payments and no hours.

Now instead of being on JobKeeper as I had initially thought, I am now expected to live off 12 hours a week with my TA job. This means I will earn roughly $550 a fortnight (after tax) whle paying $400 a fortnight for rent.

I just need to know what my options are, the next couple of weeks are going to be a stressful time now that I have recieved this news. Will I be eligible for JobSeeker or will having a fixed-term contract impact that as well? What others options are out there? I really don't want to take from my Super. I really wish individual circustances were taken into consideration for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @KillerTies 

Thanks for contacting ATO Comunity.

For an employee, if they have a permanenet employer,  they must choose their permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.

You can only receive the payment from one employer. Here are some different scenarios that can assist you:

1. Long-term casual and permanent job: In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.
  2. Fixed-term contract and long-term casual: if you're a fixed term contractor at 1 March and also a long-term casual, you can only choose to nominate through your fixed-term contract employer, not your casual employer. If the fixed-term contract is renewed before 27 September 2020, you will continue to be eligible for JobKeeper Payment under that employer. If you fixed-term contract isn’t renewed before 27 September 2020, you will likely cease being eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.
  3. Two long-term casual jobs or two permanent jobs: If you receive nominations from both employers, you can choose the one you want to get the payment from.

You can see more on eligibility for employees on our website.

For more information in regards to any issues around your employment you can go to the Fair work Australia website.

If you aren’t eligible to be paid JobKeeper payments, you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia depending on your personal circumstances or even consider an early release of superannuation.

I really hope this information helps you and you remain safe and well during this difficult time.

MariR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @KillerTies 

Thanks for contacting ATO Comunity.

For an employee, if they have a permanenet employer,  they must choose their permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.

You can only receive the payment from one employer. Here are some different scenarios that can assist you:

1. Long-term casual and permanent job: In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.
  2. Fixed-term contract and long-term casual: if you're a fixed term contractor at 1 March and also a long-term casual, you can only choose to nominate through your fixed-term contract employer, not your casual employer. If the fixed-term contract is renewed before 27 September 2020, you will continue to be eligible for JobKeeper Payment under that employer. If you fixed-term contract isn’t renewed before 27 September 2020, you will likely cease being eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.
  3. Two long-term casual jobs or two permanent jobs: If you receive nominations from both employers, you can choose the one you want to get the payment from.

You can see more on eligibility for employees on our website.

For more information in regards to any issues around your employment you can go to the Fair work Australia website.

If you aren’t eligible to be paid JobKeeper payments, you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia depending on your personal circumstances or even consider an early release of superannuation.

I really hope this information helps you and you remain safe and well during this difficult time.

MariR