Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Fixed term contractor and casual - JobKeeper

Highlighted

Views 151

Replies 1

Hi there,

Sorry for the long post and if this has already been answered, but I have found the existing answers surrounding renewals confusing and want a solid yes or no answer.

As of 1 March 2020 I was employed on a fixed-term contract at one job, with that contract to end on 29 April 2020 — this employer has since offered to take me on as a permanent employee from 30 April 2020 (for which I am grateful) and I will no longer be a contractor.
At the same time, I was also employed on a casual basis at a second job where I had been employed regularly for 3 years — I have since been stood down at this job and have not worked any hours there in weeks.

A few days ago, my casual employer demanded I fill in a form within 2 days to confirm my eligibility to claim the JobKeeper payment through them. As I was NOT claiming it through my contract job, nor was I a permanent employee according to the definition outlined by Fairwork Australia, I filled in the form and said I would claim the payment — my concern is now that I filled in this form to say I am eligible (I thought I was!) but I might not be.

I thought I was doing my due diligence and genuinely didn’t want to do the wrong thing or make a claim where I wasn’t eligible. I make a modest income (<$40k per annum before tax) at my contract job and am missing out on a lot of income I rely on by not getting my casual hours on the weekend. I applied for the JobKeeper since I thought I was eligible for it and am in a financial position where I believe I genuinely need it.

However, now there is some confusion about whether contractors are eligible for JobKeeper at their other job. There is confusing language around renewals of contracts which I don’t understand and would like some clarity from the ATO community — am I eligible for the JobKeeper through my long-term casual employer or not? If not, that’s okay. I can probably stay with my parents and weather the storm. But if I am, receiving the payments would take a great deal of stress off my shoulders.

I am more than happy to work hours at the casual job when they reopen and am not looking for free money! However, my manager has told me that there are a number of other employees who definitely WILL be eligible for JobKeeper and that the company will balance hours to pay $0 in wages outside of the $1500 per fortnight, possibly for up to 6 months.

Additionally, I have had my casual manager hounding me for more information on whether I am accruing leave through my contract employer since the payroll department have been asking her about my other job — I responded that I do get leave there, but I am not sure why they would have asked.
Can anyone clarify why this would be need-to-know information for them?

Thanks in advance and sorry again for all the questions.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JakeATO 

Thanks for reaching out during this stressful time.

You have asked a similar question in another thread. You can read our answer here: Confusion around contractor terms 

Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JakeATO 

Thanks for reaching out during this stressful time.

You have asked a similar question in another thread. You can read our answer here: Confusion around contractor terms 

Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR