Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: Full time after march 1st

Highlighted

Views 211

Replies 3

- I have worked for a company since 23rd July 2019 (10 months)
- I was made full time on March 11th 2020
- I have a letter from work saying I am temporarily stood down

Do I have to meet EVERY criteria or am I eligable because I have been stood down

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 1

Good morning Hayley22

Were you employed casually between 23 July 2019-11 March 2020 (when you became a fulltime employee)? If you were employed part-time on 1 March 2020, then you may be eligible for JobKeeper. The 12month employment test only aplies to casual employees. 

The ATO outlines that the criteria for eligible employees are as follows - 

You are an eligible employee if you:

• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including if you were stood down or re-hired)
  • were for the eligible employer (or another entity in their wholly owned group), either a  
    • permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020
    • long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020
  • were either  
    • an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) – visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptionsExternal Link for more details
    • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa as at 1 March 2020

• were not in receipt of any of these payments during the JobKeeper fortnight  
    • government parental leave or Dad and partner pay under the Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
    • a payment in accordance with Australian worker compensation law for an individual's total incapacity for work.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 1

Good morning Hayley22

Were you employed casually between 23 July 2019-11 March 2020 (when you became a fulltime employee)? If you were employed part-time on 1 March 2020, then you may be eligible for JobKeeper. The 12month employment test only aplies to casual employees. 

The ATO outlines that the criteria for eligible employees are as follows - 

You are an eligible employee if you:

• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including if you were stood down or re-hired)
  • were for the eligible employer (or another entity in their wholly owned group), either a  
    • permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020
    • long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020
  • were either  
    • an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) – visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptionsExternal Link for more details
    • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa as at 1 March 2020

• were not in receipt of any of these payments during the JobKeeper fortnight  
    • government parental leave or Dad and partner pay under the Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
    • a payment in accordance with Australian worker compensation law for an individual's total incapacity for work.
Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi Josh, 

I'm in a similar situation but your answer to the above is not entirely clear. 

I was a on a fixed term contract from 31st July 2019. Approx 8months

I was then made a permanent employee on the 3rd of March 2020. 

I was then stood down as of 13th April 2020. 

I have been told by my employer that I'm not eligible for Job Keeper because my contact is dated 3rd of March and not 1st of March. 

It seems I dont meet the 1st of march permanent employee criteria nor do i meet the casual for 12 months criteria. 

Is that correct? @JoshH 

Thanks

Alban

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hayley22,

Here is a link to a thread where I answered a similar question:

https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/COVID-19-response/Payments-due-to-employee-stood-down-now-asked-to-r...

Have a good day!

Josh