Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Re: Funds hand out

Highlighted

Views 185

Replies 3

Can someone at the ATO answer my question regarding the ridiculous knee jerk reaction the PM and his ministry are doing handing out our taxes to those people whose everyday income has not been effected?

1. Why do people who have already been living on any form of welfare prior to the CoronaVirus outbreak need Extra money to be isolated? If anything people who are supposed to be house bound would need less money because they are not going out.
  2. This assistance package should only be distributed to the following:
    1. Workers that now find themselves out of work and have zero income
    2. Business owners that have closed their doors and have no income
    3. Self Funded Pensioners whose investments have dropped so low they no longer have a livable income

When this Pandemic is all over and gone, then the PM and his team should be giving out Stymulus Packages, just like **bleep** did in the GFC panic. That is the time to hand out cash to everyone so we can get out and spend so the economy gets a kick start.

Lets get real with what is and what isn't needed in these times and not start throwing our country into a recession we will never recover from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 1

HI @Gazzaw and @TaxedoMask,

It is a very stressful and uncertain time for everyone.

I am sure you are both aware that the ATO only administers the law.

The best action to take would be to contact your local Federal Member of Parliament to discuss your concerns.

Best wishes and stay safe.

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

I doubt the ATO has the ability to control the prime minister. 

Speculating here:

They probably considered but couldn't separate those who were unemployed due to COVID-19 and those who are simply unemployed. It was easier (logistically speaking) to give them all an extra $550 a fortnight and call the extra stimulation the economy a bonus. Given how abysmal government run IT systems are it was probably the easiest/only way they could do it.

On the Kevin07 (As a strange aside, why is the former PMs name considered a profanity?) stimulus, if I recall correctly. it was paid equally to all taxpayers - so that those who contributed to the system got a bit back to spend it. This in my opinion is fairer than increasing the handouts to those who are already costing the Australian taxpayers billions...

The real problem in the current situation though is how to address businesses which need to close and how to ensure that post-pandemic, we can bounce back - which is easier said than done.

The pandemic requires a number of things to be done - with finess - simultaneously. This is out of the depth of the Australian government given their frequent ineptitude and buck passing. One can only hope that in the greater scheme of things, it all works out in the end.

This is actually a great opportunity to do a reset and shape the future. However it'll require some forward thinking, that is, beyond the next election - a trait I cannot see anyone in Canberra possessing.

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 1

HI @Gazzaw and @TaxedoMask,

It is a very stressful and uncertain time for everyone.

I am sure you are both aware that the ATO only administers the law.

The best action to take would be to contact your local Federal Member of Parliament to discuss your concerns.

Best wishes and stay safe.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thanks KylieS
Yeah I never really expected the ATO to have a say in the decision but in answer to your advise.
I have been non stop contacting both my State and Federal members for answers, so far I have received zero response.
I have also asked the media journalist who seem to have the PM and Treasurers ear for non stop questioning, so far I have had zero response.
Seems nobody wants to answer the question or ask it.