Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Have activated Job Seeker but should qualify for Job Keeper, what should I do.

Views 1046

Replies 1

Hello, I've been trying to search the Web for answers relating to Job Keeper as a Sole Trader. I had already applied for Job Seeker before the  Job Keeper was announced and needed some funds.

I have registered intent to claim for Job Keeper as I'm a Musician who has lost all gigs due to Covid 19. I didn't want to stop the Job Seeker until i was sure I would qualify for Job Keeper. We aren't GST registered. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Another question, can you still earn any money while on the Job Keeper payment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Have you got an ABN? Here is the eligibility criteria for sole traders according to Treasury's factsheet. At the time of applying they:

• estimate their GST turnover has or will fall by 30 per cent or more
  • had an ABN on or before 12 March 2020, and either had an amount included in its assessable income for the 2018-19 year and it was included in their income tax return lodged on or before 12 March 2020 (or such later time as allowed by the Commissioner), or made a supply during the period 1 July 2018 to 12 March 2020 and provided this information to the Commissioner on or before 12 March 2020 (or such later time as allowed by the Commissioner)
  • were actively engaged in the business
  • are not entitled to another JobKeeper Payment (either a nominated business participant of another business or as an eligible employee)
  • are not a permanent employee of any other employer
  • were aged at least 16 years of age as at 1 March 2020
  • were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder at 1 March 2020.

If you’ve applied for JobSeeker and you start receiving JobKeeper, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

And yes, yu can earn additional income without your JobKeeper payments being affected as long as you maintain your employment (including being stood down) with your JobKeeper-eligible employer.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Have you got an ABN? Here is the eligibility criteria for sole traders according to Treasury's factsheet. At the time of applying they:

• estimate their GST turnover has or will fall by 30 per cent or more
  • had an ABN on or before 12 March 2020, and either had an amount included in its assessable income for the 2018-19 year and it was included in their income tax return lodged on or before 12 March 2020 (or such later time as allowed by the Commissioner), or made a supply during the period 1 July 2018 to 12 March 2020 and provided this information to the Commissioner on or before 12 March 2020 (or such later time as allowed by the Commissioner)
  • were actively engaged in the business
  • are not entitled to another JobKeeper Payment (either a nominated business participant of another business or as an eligible employee)
  • are not a permanent employee of any other employer
  • were aged at least 16 years of age as at 1 March 2020
  • were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder at 1 March 2020.

If you’ve applied for JobSeeker and you start receiving JobKeeper, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

And yes, yu can earn additional income without your JobKeeper payments being affected as long as you maintain your employment (including being stood down) with your JobKeeper-eligible employer.