Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

How do I opt off JobKeeper after I already have received JobKeeper top-ups?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 287

Replies 1

Hi, 

I have received JobKeeper payment last night, my employer paid it backdated since 30 March 2020. 

But I regret it, I do not want to cancel my JobSeeker or owe a debt to the Centrelink. 

I want to opt-out of JobKeeper. I am happy to return all the extra JobKeeper top-ups I have received. 

Should I pay the JobKeeper payment I received back to my employer or pay it back to ATO?

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ monmonmoni

You simply advise your employer you don't want to participate. Then on the next pay cycle he will not nominate you. He is only able to claim when you sign the agreement for nomination. However  you may want to re-consider that JobSeeker payments are $1100 per fortnight and JobKeeper $1500 both are taxable. At the same time Jobkeeper maintains your connection to your employer whether you are working or not. Really the point is you just cant receive both at the same time, its one or the other. With Jobkeeper the government re-reimburses your employer for $1500 minimum which he is required to pay in advance to you each fortnight as wages before he can claim it.

You may just find it easier to advise Centerlink and they will make any adjustment necessary. See  How the JobKeeper payment affects income support payments

Hope this helps

MarkA

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ monmonmoni

You simply advise your employer you don't want to participate. Then on the next pay cycle he will not nominate you. He is only able to claim when you sign the agreement for nomination. However  you may want to re-consider that JobSeeker payments are $1100 per fortnight and JobKeeper $1500 both are taxable. At the same time Jobkeeper maintains your connection to your employer whether you are working or not. Really the point is you just cant receive both at the same time, its one or the other. With Jobkeeper the government re-reimburses your employer for $1500 minimum which he is required to pay in advance to you each fortnight as wages before he can claim it.

You may just find it easier to advise Centerlink and they will make any adjustment necessary. See  How the JobKeeper payment affects income support payments

Hope this helps

MarkA