Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: How to make it fair and motivated for skeleton crew?

Highlighted

Views 472

Replies 5

Eligible business with 10 employees qualified for jobkeeper program. One in and all in.

38 hours per week for all before Covid19.

Fewer work hours needed for March and April.

4 employees come in work for aprox 20hrs per week each and 6 employees stay at home with same paid $750 per week.

There are not enough job for everyone to come in that is also not a right thing to do during this hard period to request all employees come in for 20hours everyweek. 

How to make it fair and motivated for those 4 experienced skeleton crew?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @mishi

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

It’s not compulsory for employers to participate however if you decided to enrol, you needed to nominate all eligible employees, and could not pick and choose.

To be eligible for JobKeeper payments both an employer and employee have to meet all the eligibility requirements.

Part of the requirements is that eligible employers will need to pay all eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 (before tax) each JobKeeper fortnight, starting from 30 March and 13 April 2020.

Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act that may assist you.

As they mention, in certain circumstances, employers can temporarily:

• stand down an employee (including by reducing their hours or days of work)
  • change an employee’s usual duties
  • change an employee’s location of work.
  •  

This may help you to make agreements with your employees to change their days and times of work and take annual leave in certain circumstances- please refer to the JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act for full details.

I hope this information is helpful and you all remain well during this time.

MariR

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Champion

Replies 2

Great question Mishi. Lots to consider there from a work psychology perspective, however this is a tax forum. 

Perhaps better to pose that sort of question on an employer to employer discusison board or in an online leaders workshop? 

Sorry couldn't be of more assistance. 

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you PolicyNerd.  My question is it my right and decision only to choose?

Without breaching any Fair Work Acts?

Is there any potential dispute if skeleton crews bring this to FairWorkCommission?

Apparently staying home and coming to work 4 hrs for 5 days have the same paid.

Champion

Replies 0

Apologies Mishi. I misunderstood your quesiton and thought you were asking for tips on how to motivate your staff . 

The Fair Work Act is administered by the Fair Work Commission, so you really should direct questions there.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @mishi

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

It’s not compulsory for employers to participate however if you decided to enrol, you needed to nominate all eligible employees, and could not pick and choose.

To be eligible for JobKeeper payments both an employer and employee have to meet all the eligibility requirements.

Part of the requirements is that eligible employers will need to pay all eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 (before tax) each JobKeeper fortnight, starting from 30 March and 13 April 2020.

Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act that may assist you.

As they mention, in certain circumstances, employers can temporarily:

• stand down an employee (including by reducing their hours or days of work)
  • change an employee’s usual duties
  • change an employee’s location of work.
  •  

This may help you to make agreements with your employees to change their days and times of work and take annual leave in certain circumstances- please refer to the JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act for full details.

I hope this information is helpful and you all remain well during this time.

MariR

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi MariR. Thanks for your reply. I did check employees and employers obligation by fair work.

It is fine to temporarily reduce hours. But jobkeeper program suppose to be one in all in.

To be fair all full time employees should reduce same amount hours.

A proper question is, is it OK by Fair work Act,that as an employer I could decide and choose who could stay at home and who should come in to 'earn' job keeper payment?

For example 10 eligible full-time employees, without breaching any Fair work Acts, it is my right and my decision only to choose whom to be standing down.  

While 6 employees staying at home relaxing and the other 4 employees who come into work 4hrs per day for 5days have no vote power.