Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Important - Job Keeper Eligibility

I'm new

Views 492

Replies 1

Hi I am stuck badly. I joined as a casual employee on 10th March 2019 in a retail job as a sales consultant. Then I was stood down and told that I dont qualify for job keeper because of the date of joining. I called ATO twice today to verify that am I eligible and they said yes I am eligible. I have started to get shifts again as they have stood up the employees who were stood down earlier.

Below is the chat from my employer:

According to the ATO website an eligible employee for JobKeeper Wage Subsidy must meet the following criteria:

Work out if you are an eligible employee

You are an eligible employee if you:

• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including if you were stood down or re-hired)
  • were for the eligible employer (or another entity in their wholly owned group), either a:
    • full-time, part-time or fixed-term employees at 1 March 2020
    • long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employees/eligible-employees/

As your contract of employment (on a Casual basis) with us commenced on 10th March 2019 this falls outside of the above guidelines.

Secondly I am also a resident for tax purposes and I dont get any support payments from the government. Can anyone please advise if I am eligible or not and also if I dont qualify then why did ATO employees confirm it twice that I qualify. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @vasusharma,

I am sorry to hear you are receiving mixed messages in relation to your eligibility for Jobkeeper payment.

Unfortunately, as you have stated below casual employees are only eligible if they were employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least a year at 1 March 2020. As you commenced employment on the 10th of March 2019 this falls just short of the criteria to be eligible for Jobkeeper.

There is a way to lodge an objection to the decision we've made regarding your eligibility which may be worth pursuing, based on what you've told us. 

As you aren't eligible for JobKeeper through your employer, you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

JacquelineATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @vasusharma,

I am sorry to hear you are receiving mixed messages in relation to your eligibility for Jobkeeper payment.

Unfortunately, as you have stated below casual employees are only eligible if they were employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least a year at 1 March 2020. As you commenced employment on the 10th of March 2019 this falls just short of the criteria to be eligible for Jobkeeper.

There is a way to lodge an objection to the decision we've made regarding your eligibility which may be worth pursuing, based on what you've told us. 

As you aren't eligible for JobKeeper through your employer, you may be able to apply for support through Services Australia.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

JacquelineATO