ATO Community

Re: Is a business grant I received included in my turnover calculations for JobKeeper?

Replies 0

Many thanks, Jodie2, for the quick reply. 

Based on the discussions/clarifications we have received to date, we will exclude this particular grant from our GST turnover.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi Chloe,

I am in the same boat. We intend to apply for jobkeeper this month (May 2020) as we estimate our sales to drop by 30%. We have also just received a Victoria Support Grant and don't know whether this counts as GST turnover? All it says in the email we received is '' funds are categorised as a non-taxable supply, GST is not applicable.'' We will be extremely unlucky if this fund was considered as GST turnover, essentially making us ineligible for jobkeeper even though we pass the 30% decline in sales. Very very unfair as I applied for the grant back in April and after a long delay received payment in May. I too need a firm answer.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @petethetoolman and @ChloeLamplugh , have you guys got the concrete answer on how to treat these "non-taxable supply, GST is not applicable" grant ? Should they be BAS excluded ? (it seems like the grant was sent to business via a recipient generated invoice so the eligible business is kind of become the supplier of GST free goods in these grant)

@petethetoolman wrote:

Hi Chloe,

I am in the same boat. We intend to apply for jobkeeper this month (May 2020) as we estimate our sales to drop by 30%. We have also just received a Victoria Support Grant and don't know whether this counts as GST turnover? All it says in the email we received is '' funds are categorised as a non-taxable supply, GST is not applicable.'' We will be extremely unlucky if this fund was considered as GST turnover, essentially making us ineligible for jobkeeper even though we pass the 30% decline in sales. Very very unfair as I applied for the grant back in April and after a long delay received payment in May. I too need a firm answer.

I'm new

Replies 1

Thanks for persisting with this to get an answer. I needed verification on this and it took a while for you to get a straight answer. Don’t know why they have to beat around the bush The question was straight forward.

Replies 0

Hi Leckie

I reckon because all this is new to us, even to the ATO folks who must answer (and I suspect research) our numerous (and often convoluted) questions.  All the best to all of us!

Luz7277