Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Job Keeper 2 Jobs - Casual And Contract

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 747

Replies 5

Hi I have 2 jobs, one is casual and other is contract. The contract job is until july this year and i have been working this job for only 5 months. However this job is full time. I have been working my casual job for more than 2 years, used to work there full time before i got my contract job, now i was only working weekends. The casual job does not have any business these days so i am not getting any shifts however my contract job is not affected and i am working there full time. My casual employer is eligible for job seeker. My question is can i claim job keeper from my casual employer? I am eligible to claim with them as i have been working there for more than 2 years. I am just afraid i wont get an extension with my contract job and if i dont get any shifts or job seeker with my casual job i will be left without any income post july. I am also concerned they may terminate my casual contract as i wont be doing any shifts or getting job seeker from them if i dont claim. My question is is it legal to claim from my casual employer given the fact that i am still working full time and getting paid by my contract employer? My income with my casual employer was not more than $500 per fortnight for the last few months. I just dont want to do anything illegal and also dont want to left unpaid post july. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Numair16

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We understand that this is something that has been causing confusion, but we have checked with our experts and the information @etchasketch has linked you to is correct. If you have a fixed-term contract and casual employment, your casual employer can't claim the JobKeeper Payment for you.

If your fixed-term contract employer doesn't satisfy all the eligible employer requirements as outlined on our website, they won't be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment. In turn, you won't be eligible either.

When your fixed-term contract ends in July (assuming it isn't extended), your casual employer will then be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment for you (assuming they meet the requirements) as they will be your only employer.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to take advantage of one or more of the other COVID-19 measures, e.g. early release of super.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 4

Unfortunately, you'll need to choose your contract job even if they aren't eligible. If your contract isn't renewed before September then you'll be able to re-assess for your casual job. ATO have provided a response on this: https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/COVID-19-response/JobKeeper-Multiple-Employers/td-p/44630

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 3

Hi etchasketch!

Thanks for the response. However I am not sure this is correct. I just rang up ATO and they said that I am still able to claim through my casual employer as long as I maintain employment with them. This is the second time I got this response. I called them twice just to be sure. 

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Numair16

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We understand that this is something that has been causing confusion, but we have checked with our experts and the information @etchasketch has linked you to is correct. If you have a fixed-term contract and casual employment, your casual employer can't claim the JobKeeper Payment for you.

If your fixed-term contract employer doesn't satisfy all the eligible employer requirements as outlined on our website, they won't be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment. In turn, you won't be eligible either.

When your fixed-term contract ends in July (assuming it isn't extended), your casual employer will then be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment for you (assuming they meet the requirements) as they will be your only employer.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to take advantage of one or more of the other COVID-19 measures, e.g. early release of super.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi @ChrisATO 

It appears that since signing my jobkeeper employee claim form they’ve included the fixed term line, when I singed, it only included permanent employment.
I have already begun receiving jobkeeper payment from my eligible long term casual employer where as my fixed term part time job is not eligible. My contract also ends in July.
What do I do now?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Howard,

Thanks for reaching out.

Eligibility for JobKeeper payments is a self-assessment process and employers are responsible for checking with their employees they meet the eligibility requirements prior to paying their employees. If a payment is made and we later determine that the entity was not entitled to that payment, the entity will be required to repay the overpaid amount.

You need to inform your employer that you are not entitled to the JobKeeper payment so that they can amend their enrolment.

You can find more information about JobKeeper on our website.

I hope this helps.