Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Job Keeper - Changing Employer

I'm new

Views 3052

Replies 7

I've applied for Job Keeper with one employer who has closed down, as I didn't think the employer who was still paying me would be eligible for the scheme.

Turns out my second employer is actually eligible, and wants to put me on it. Is it possible for me to change the employer that is going to be paying me for Job Keeper? I have tried to contact the first one but as they are on skeleton staff I haven't heard back yet. Is it possible to change the nominated employer after the first pay?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @laurencout 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

Unfortunately once you have agreed to be nominated by one of your eligible employers and completed the employee nomination notice, you cannot change the employer who is claiming JobKeeper payments for you.  If you have an employer you are permanently employed with you cannot nominate your casual employer.

Stay up to date with our knowledge base and website 

I hope this is helpful during this challenging time

7 REPLIES 7

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @laurencout 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

Unfortunately once you have agreed to be nominated by one of your eligible employers and completed the employee nomination notice, you cannot change the employer who is claiming JobKeeper payments for you.  If you have an employer you are permanently employed with you cannot nominate your casual employer.

Stay up to date with our knowledge base and website 

I hope this is helpful during this challenging time

Replies 1

Any update for this issue?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @patriciusd

The JobKeeper extension is due to start late Sept 2020 and will need to be legislated first to proceed. However we expect additional information to be added and other changes once that occurs. Thus for now we recommend keeping across the proposed updates on the Treasury website. Thanks for your interest.

Replies 3

I have a question:
If I am a casual with a company, on Jobkeeper, but I have been offered a position with another company who is also a registered Jobkeeper employer, can I resign as a casual and take up the other offer? Surely this is a really good idea as there are employers who are taking advantage of the Jobkeeper scheme and exploiting the staff. If we are in Jobkeeper with such an employee we should be able to change employers where there is longevity in working for another (qualified) Jobkeeper employer???

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sandylee , @laurencout 

It's a good question, and I understand what you're saying, in that job security is important in this current environment. The rules have recently changed (as from 3 August 2020) re: changing employment and still being able to access Jobkeeper, but there are strict circumstances in allowing this. Please consider Eligible employees under section, "If you are nominated by your employer", quoted here -

"If you have previously agreed to be nominated as an eligible employee of another employer or as an eligible business participant, you can only agree to be nominated as an eligible employee for a new employer for JobKeeper fortnights starting on or after 3 August 2020 if you meet all of the following:

• between 1 March 2020 and 1 July 2020, you stopped being an employee of your previous employer or stopped being actively engaged as an eligible business participant
  • at the time you agree to be nominated by your new employer, you had not been rehired by your previous employer or had not restarted being actively engaged as an eligible business participant, and
  • you meet the other requirements to be an eligible employee for your new employer for JobKeeper fortnights starting on or after 3 August 2020 (including the 1 July test)." (italics, bold added)

The issue for your situation is that you would have needed to have not being employed by your previous employer (from whom you received a Jobkeeper related payment), by 1 July 2020 (as highlighted in bold above). You actually needed to have started working with your new employer by 1 July 2020, unfortunately.

As @patriciusd mentioned, you may want to check the next extension of Jobkeeper, once it is legislated, in case there is a chance of further changes to the guidelines in changing employers. Please see the ATO website for updates, Jobkeeper timeline of content updates.

I'm new

Replies 1

Hello, 

I have just been informed that my current employer is no longer eligible for Job Keeper. My second and main employer is eligible (is my main employer who I was previously not eligible on 1.0) and I was was wondering if I was able to now change from my old one (who is paying the final cycle next pay cycle) to my new (and more current employer). 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jarrad

Based on the current information we have, you can only nominate another employer if you stopped being an employee of your original JobKeeper employer by July 1st. See our website about how to satisfy nomination requirements.

Thanks, Ari