Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Job Keeper / Job Seeker

Highlighted

Views 325

Replies 1

Hi,

I am a Sole Trader eligible for both the Job Seeker and Job Keeper payments. I have already been received the first Job Seeker payment. What happens to this amount and future payments after Job Keeper payments commence?

Do I need to pay the Job Seeker payments back?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @stonks88 

The ATO Community have an article that could address your question. You can read more about it at https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Tax/COVID-19-support-JobKeeper-payment/ta-p/40276#toc-hId--141585768...

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @stonks88 

The ATO Community have an article that could address your question. You can read more about it at https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Tax/COVID-19-support-JobKeeper-payment/ta-p/40276#toc-hId--141585768...

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

Hope this helps.