Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Job Keeper Question

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 1592

Replies 9

Hi,

I have a question regarding eligibility for the Job Keeper payment and would really appreciate help in understanding the situation!

I have two jobs: one casual and one permanent part-time. I've been stood down at the permanent job and my employers intend to apply for the Job Keeper scheme. However, at the casual job, my employers want to increase my hours to fill out the maximum hours possible under my casual contract so that I can temporarily take over duties from someone on maternity leave. 

Previously, the permanent job earned more income than the casual job. However, if I accept the increased hours at my casual job, I will be earning more than $1500 per fortnight (Job Keeper payment amount) at my casual job alone.

If I earn more at my casual job than my permanent job, which would receive Job Keeper payments, and therefore earn more than the $1500 per fortnight Job Keeper sum at my casual job, do I still qualify to receive the Job Keeper payment through my permanent employer?

Thank you so much for your help! I hope I explained that clearly enough.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi wonka5,

Thank you so much for such a quick reply!

Yes, that's what I thought too, though I've been talking with a lot of people, as everyone is I guess, including at both jobs and there's a real confusion around what constitutes a 'primary employer'. I thought that it meant the job that earns the higher income, but I've heard and read different things and can't find a definitive description.

My permanent job will be the only one offering the payment since the casual job isn't affected by closures. However, the increase in hours and therefore pay at my casual job is temporary though there's no end date yet as such. My casual job knows I'll be claiming (if eligible) through my permanent employer. So the Job Keeper payment only applies to one job anyway but I can't figure out if it would be affected by my earnings in my casual job Smiley Sad

EDIT: I've also just read what I understand to mean that I would not be able to claim Job Keeper payments from my casual employer if they were to offer it.

From the JobKeeper Employee Nomination Notice: "If you are a casual employee as mentioned above, you are not permanently employed by any other employer, or you are only employed by any other employer on a casual basis."

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Normally your are encouraged to claim the JobKeeper from your primary or main employer. Your situation is tricky as it sounds like your main employer has changed. In the end it is your decision who you will claim it through, as long as you only claim it once through one of your employers you will be fine. Obviously you would need to let them both know.
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi wonka5,

Thank you so much for such a quick reply!

Yes, that's what I thought too, though I've been talking with a lot of people, as everyone is I guess, including at both jobs and there's a real confusion around what constitutes a 'primary employer'. I thought that it meant the job that earns the higher income, but I've heard and read different things and can't find a definitive description.

My permanent job will be the only one offering the payment since the casual job isn't affected by closures. However, the increase in hours and therefore pay at my casual job is temporary though there's no end date yet as such. My casual job knows I'll be claiming (if eligible) through my permanent employer. So the Job Keeper payment only applies to one job anyway but I can't figure out if it would be affected by my earnings in my casual job Smiley Sad

EDIT: I've also just read what I understand to mean that I would not be able to claim Job Keeper payments from my casual employer if they were to offer it.

From the JobKeeper Employee Nomination Notice: "If you are a casual employee as mentioned above, you are not permanently employed by any other employer, or you are only employed by any other employer on a casual basis."

Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @K_S1

Check out whether you are an eligible employee and also Employees with multiple employers. Earnings from other jobs aren’t factored into your eligibility.

Hopefully this helps.

Gus

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @_Gus_,

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the help.

I am an eligible employee and I can see on that second link that "If you have taken up other work after being stood down, you may earn additional income without your eligible employer’s JobKeeper payment being affected", however I can't see anything about other work that I already had before being stood down at my permanent job.

Have you seen any published information regarding earning more than $1500 per fortnight at a casual job that someone had before being stood down at a permanent job (where they are eligible and will receive JobKeeper payments from that permanent job, but usually earned less than $1500 per fortnight at the casual job)?

EDIT: To clarify, I interpret this to mean that you may earn additional income from a new job that you started/are newly employed at after being stood down: "If you have taken up other work after being stood down, you may earn additional income without your eligible employer’s JobKeeper payment being affected".

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 4

Hi @_Gus_,
Are you an ATO employee by any chance?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @K_S1

Thanks for your reply.

The JobKeeper Payment doesn't restrict how much you are paid by your casual employer when you have two jobs. This is the also the case for casual employment you already had prior to being stood down by your permanent employer.

If your permanent employer is eligible and you are an eligible employee, your permanent employer can claim the JobKeeper Payment for you. As my colleague advised, earnings from other jobs aren't factored into your eligibility.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi @ChrisATO ,

Thank you so much for your reply! It's very good and reassuring to hear that!

Can I just ask/clarify: are you an ATO employee? I just want to make sure I have and understand the correct information.

Thank you again! 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @K_S1

Thanks your reply.

Happy to help. Whenever you see the ATO badge instead of an avatar, it means that it has been posted by an ATO employee.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @ChrisATO ,

Thank you so much! That helps me a lot Smiley Happy