Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Job Keeper Sole Trader Tax Return 12 March Cut Off Exclusion

Initiate

Replies 0

I am in same boat. My Tax Agent advised due date of late May so within ATO lodgement requirements.
Need clarity on extension to 12 March due date from ATO as it appears lots of traders have been unreasonably impacted.

Replies 1

My husband and I are also sole traders with our own ABN. I gave all our tax information to acountant in December and she didn't get to it straight away and returns were lodged on 17 March. Income has been consistant for 6 years until Covid 19. Income has dropped 50% in April and will probably get worse as this continues. We pay quarterly PAYG notice which should be evidence enough that we were participating in business activity- DOES THIS COUNT AS NOTICE TO COMMISIONER?. We are not registered for GST as we don't make enough. We pay our taxes just like everyone else. It would be unjust to deny sole traders based on this March 12 deadline BECAUSE AS WE HAVE ALL SAID returns by tax agent not due until May.

Initiate

Replies 0

It's so unfair having the 12 March cut off since legally nothing is wrong with lodging a tax return by 15 May. Even if my tax return is late, I still paid a tax by lodging PAYG installments each term in this financial year. Why ATO is not answering our simple question? They should explain why they set up this 12 March cut off and at least they are working on now to remove or amend this requirement or not.

Initiate

Replies 7

@AmandaE Please could we got a response on this ASAP 

Initiate

Replies 6

Eagerly awaiting to hear back from ATO about the 12th March cut off.

Initiate

Replies 5

@KylieATO 

Hi Kylie, could you please assist here.

There are a number of us in a similar position with tax due date of mid - late May through registered tax agent. 

Sole traders and other entities

"Note: A discretion to give further time after 12 March 2020 may apply in limited circumstances. More information will be available soon."

Can you please advise ASAP given the short timeframe to register. Thank you, 

Initiate

Replies 4

I would suggest you call your registered tax agent for advise. They may be able to help.

Enthusiast

Replies 2

I have contacted my tax agent and unfortunately, they do not seem to have been given any further information either.  They have said that it 'may' be extended but no details as yet.  Frustratng for all concerned.

The date of cut off should have been in line with the date in which tax returns needed to be lodged (as per ATO guidelines) or the public should have been advised to have the returns lodged by a certain (future) date to be eligible.  I don't see how the ATO can tell you that you must have lodged the return by 12 March, after that date has already passed.  

Replies 1

It has been brought to my attention that "12th of March 2020" happens to be the same date that the Coronavirus was 'officially declared a pandemic' by the World Health Organization (WHO)....surely that must have something to do with it but I still don't understand why that would stop us from being allowed to enrol?

Enthusiast

Replies 0

OK, that makes sense but I agree, that should not be the date to be used for determining eligibility for the JobKeeper payment. My business is no better off because my tax agent didn't lodge my return by 12 March.