Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Job Keeper; What happens if my monthly income reduction is less than 30%?

Initiate

Views 1255

Replies 3

Hi there,

I’m a sole trader with no employees. I’ve received 2 Jobkeeper payments so far, thank you!

Just wondering: Do I continue to receive the Jobkeeper payment if my income is no longer at a 30% loss? I’m just wondering, what if my income in future months is only down 25%? It doesn’t look like that at this stage, but what happens if it does? Do I stop lodging my figures? Will I stop receiving the Jobkeeper payment?
I can’t find this info on any of your relevant pages, so please no links required.
Thank you so much!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @gmfreeek,

The good news is yes, you will continue to receive JobKeeper for as long as the scheme runs (which at this stage is until September 27th) unless for some reason you decide to leave the scheme before that date.

This is because the JobKeeper scheme has been designed with some flexibility in recognition of the fact that people’s incomes often fluctuate (both up and down) from month to month.  As such, even though you are required to tell us about your actual turnover in the relevant section of the business monthly declaration that you need to make anyway, this information on turnover will not stop you receiving JobKeeper as it is not a “re-test of your eligibility. We ask for this information to see how your business is progressing under the JobKeeper Payment scheme” and once you have satisfied that test once you do not need to test your turnover again in the following months or quarters.

I know you asked for no links to be included but should you wish to confirm the information given above, you will find it included on our website in this section on applying the turnover test.

AlBar

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 0

You only have to qualify in one month

After that, they hope your income goes back to what it was before or even excedes it.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/In-detail/Employers--frequently-asked-JobKeeper-que...

You only need to satisfy the decline in turnover test once to be entitled to JobKeeper. For example, satisfying it for March 2020 (compared in March 2019) is sufficient, even if your business recovers to previous levels after this.

There are ongoing reporting obligations for current and projected GST turnover, but even where these show a recovery of turnover they don’t affect eligibility.

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @gmfreeek,

The good news is yes, you will continue to receive JobKeeper for as long as the scheme runs (which at this stage is until September 27th) unless for some reason you decide to leave the scheme before that date.

This is because the JobKeeper scheme has been designed with some flexibility in recognition of the fact that people’s incomes often fluctuate (both up and down) from month to month.  As such, even though you are required to tell us about your actual turnover in the relevant section of the business monthly declaration that you need to make anyway, this information on turnover will not stop you receiving JobKeeper as it is not a “re-test of your eligibility. We ask for this information to see how your business is progressing under the JobKeeper Payment scheme” and once you have satisfied that test once you do not need to test your turnover again in the following months or quarters.

I know you asked for no links to be included but should you wish to confirm the information given above, you will find it included on our website in this section on applying the turnover test.

AlBar

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you so much for the clear & concise responses everyone!
I knew from the links that I would stay in the program, I just wasn’t sure if we’d still get paid. So you’ve helped to clear that up.
Thank you!!