Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Job Keeper allowance for employee on maternity leave

Views 39565

Replies 49

As a podiatrist we are currently still open as an allied health business. We have not stood anyone down and have no intentions of doing that since the job keeper allowance has been introduced. I'm wanting to know, we currently have an employee on maternity leave who will be re-joining us in May 2020. Is this employee eligible for the $1.5k allowance? I guess this would be considered unpaid leave as of 1 March however she is still very much an employee that has every intention of returning in May. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi All,

Thanks for your questions about maternity leave.

We have some great advise being updated all the time on our the ATO Community, Knowledge Base

One of is around Maternity leave:

What if I’m on long term or maternity leave, am I still eligible for the payment?

Yes, unless you are in receipt of Australian Government Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay. If you are on paid or unpaid leave (such as annual leave) your employer is still required to pay you a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight before tax.

The JobKeeper payment is a wage subsidy for your employer so if your employer is paying you an annual leave payment, the $1,500 will subsidise part or all of this amount – it’s not an additional amount.

For more information in regards to any issues around your employment you can go to the Fair work Australia website.

If you want more information about the JobKeeper payment, you can have a look at the website, which is being updated regularly.

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

49 REPLIES 49

Devotee

Replies 10

From reading the infomation on the Treasury site I would suggest your employee is eligible because she is currently employed by you... just on mat leave. Once legislation is passed it will be clearer. The current eligibility to receive the payment is.

Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• were employed by the employer at 1 March 2020;
• are full-time, part-time, or long-term casuals (a casual employed on a regular basis for longer than
12 months as at 1 March 2020);
• are at least 16 years of age;
• are an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, a Protected Special Category Visa Holder, a
non-protected Special Category Visa Holder who has been residing continually in Australia for
10 years or more, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.
If your employees receive the JobKeeper Payment, this may affect their eligibility for payments from
Services Australia as they must report their JobKeeper Payment as income.

Initiate

Replies 8

Hi, I am a long term casual working more than 6 yrs with my company regularly upto Nov. Then went for my paid maternity leave from service Australia and its ended on mid March. I still get payslip from my company that mention unpaid maternity leave. That means i am systematically their employee. As its mentioned if someone is in unpaid maternity leave is also eligible. Can you please make it clear?

Enthusiast

Replies 7

You and I are In the same situation. Put simply,
-I am on mat leave
-paid parental leave payments finished March 29th
-am now on unpaid mat leave
-STILL am an employee until I return in November
-am eligible for job keeper.
My employee has applied and has been approved, therefore I have been approved for the payments. For those on mat leave, we ARE still employed which means we ARE eligible for the job keeper benefit as long as your employer is applying.

Initiate

Replies 6

ThNks for quick reply

Enthusiast

Replies 0

No problem! I only know all of this because my job is really good at keeping us updated with everything going atm. I hope your employer is doing the same 🙂

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi All,

Thanks for your questions about maternity leave.

We have some great advise being updated all the time on our the ATO Community, Knowledge Base

One of is around Maternity leave:

What if I’m on long term or maternity leave, am I still eligible for the payment?

Yes, unless you are in receipt of Australian Government Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay. If you are on paid or unpaid leave (such as annual leave) your employer is still required to pay you a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight before tax.

The JobKeeper payment is a wage subsidy for your employer so if your employer is paying you an annual leave payment, the $1,500 will subsidise part or all of this amount – it’s not an additional amount.

For more information in regards to any issues around your employment you can go to the Fair work Australia website.

If you want more information about the JobKeeper payment, you can have a look at the website, which is being updated regularly.

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi MariR,

I understand I am currently not eligible for the JobKeeper payment as I am receiving Parental Leave Pay. However, once I cease receiving payments I will then be eligible for the JobKeeper payment. My HR manager tells me to submit the application form once I am eligible but at the same time she was telling my manager that I should still submit the application now but tick "No, I do not agree to be nominated for JobKeeper payment". When I checked back with HR she says not submit the application until I am eligible, which is what she told me initially. I just want to make sure I don't miss out by submitting my application too late. Can you please confirm what I should do in my currently situation? Thank you!

Replies 0

If I am on maternity leave but not being paid as I have transferred it to my husband, does this make me eligible for job keeper as I am a full time employer?

Replies 0

Hi,
My paid parental leave finished in 4 weeks,
Will I then be eligible for jobseeker payments?
Thank you