Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Job Keeper and Annual Leave

Views 880

Replies 3

Hi

I'm interested in knowing if I can elect to use all my annual leave to top up Job Keeper payments via my employer.

I understand that my employer cannot direct me to use all my leave and that 2 weeks A/L is to be reserved.

However, as it is my decision to use all A/L leave payments....are there any barriers to doing so?

After all, it is my accrued leave and should be up to me when I can cash it in?

many thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You're able to take annual leave BUT it's not a top up for jobkeeper. If you take annual leave it must be your payment. Jobkeeper can be used to top up your annual lave but it cannot be the other way around. 

For example, if you take annual leave at $2,000 per fortnight, then you will not notice a difference. The full $2,000 will come out of your annual leave balance and you will not have a JobKeeper top up. 

If you have $1,000 of annual leave paid for the fortnight, you would be paid $1000 annual leave and a $500 JobKeeper topup.  You cannot get $1,000 annual leave and then the $1,500 jobkeeper. The JobKeeper is designed to top you up to $1,500 per fortnight. 

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 0

You can take all the leave however it needs to be properly documented that you are the one requesting the leave and that your employer is not insisting you to take the leave, two week requirement is only when your employer says you must take leave they can't force you to take all the leave. 

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You're able to take annual leave BUT it's not a top up for jobkeeper. If you take annual leave it must be your payment. Jobkeeper can be used to top up your annual lave but it cannot be the other way around. 

For example, if you take annual leave at $2,000 per fortnight, then you will not notice a difference. The full $2,000 will come out of your annual leave balance and you will not have a JobKeeper top up. 

If you have $1,000 of annual leave paid for the fortnight, you would be paid $1000 annual leave and a $500 JobKeeper topup.  You cannot get $1,000 annual leave and then the $1,500 jobkeeper. The JobKeeper is designed to top you up to $1,500 per fortnight. 

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gazza1962,

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

As @JessicaRose and @Denz have kindly said, you can elect to use your annual leave. However, the JobKeeper payment is a wage subsidy for your employer so if your employer is paying you an annual leave payment, the $1,500 will subsidise part or all of this amount – it’s not an additional amount.

Please refer to the following thread: JobKeeper - tax, super, and annual leave.

All the best,
Dejan