Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Job Keeper and Early Super Access

Highlighted

Views 318

Replies 3

My wife works in childcare and is currently pregnant so her work has put her on the job keeper payment (750 gross, no top up) and have let her stay at home instead of going into work to keep her safe. She only works 8 hours a week from home doing online things so my question is, is she eligible for the early super access as she still gets paid the job keeper allowance but have had her actual working hours reduced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Ryan07 

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community regarding the Jobkeeper payment.

Your wife can receive early access to super while receiving the JobKeeper payment provided she meets the eligibility criteria at the time of applying. We have published an early release of super article which contains further information.

Can I still access my super early while receiving JobKeeper?

To check if you’re eligible, see early release of your super due to COVID-19.

Thanks, I hope this helps.

SarahB1

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Ryan07 

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community regarding the Jobkeeper payment.

Your wife can receive early access to super while receiving the JobKeeper payment provided she meets the eligibility criteria at the time of applying. We have published an early release of super article which contains further information.

Can I still access my super early while receiving JobKeeper?

To check if you’re eligible, see early release of your super due to COVID-19.

Thanks, I hope this helps.

SarahB1

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thats the part i'm not 100% clear on. She has lost more than 20% of her working hours as they've told her to stay home but put her on job keeper however i'm not sure if that counts as a 20% loss of hours because of the payment?

Also is 20% loss of 'wage' equivalent to 20% loss of 'hours' in terms of the criteria?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ryan07,

Thank you for your response and apologies for the delay. To apply for Early access to your Super you need to meet at least one condition. You have until 30 June 2020 to apply for the 2020FY. You may also apply from 1 July 2020 for the 2021FY.

Under Assessing your eligibility it advises - You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

The website also advises - 'Individuals financially affected by COVID-19 can access some of their superannuation early. Individuals will not need to pay tax on amounts released and will not need to include it in their tax return.

The application is available through ATO online services in myGov.'

It is up to the individual to self assess. One of the conditions is based on a 20% reduction of working hours, not a 20% reduction of income. Your income does not factor into the reduced hours condition.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.