Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Job Keeper – employee nominated wrong employer

Highlighted

Views 1824

Replies 3

A bit of background. I have two jobs – one permanent part time in marketing, the other as a casual bartender. Both have been affected by COVID and both are eligible to claim Job Keeper. I earn more money from my casual bartending job than I do working 3 days a week at my marketing job, and required both to pay my rent. I was claiming the tax free threshold on my bartending job, so it was considered my primary employer.

I was not made aware of the clause regarding being uneligible to claim Job Keeper on a casual job if you are permanently employed elsewhere until after I had nominated my casual job to receive Job Keeper. Until that point, everything everywhere that I had read said all I had to do was make sure I was claiming Job Keeper with my primary employer. I believed I was eligible and had done the right thing and was not told otherwise. It was not until I had nominated that employer and started receiving payments that my permanent part time job announced they would also be applying for Job Keeper.

I have since found out that I cannot claim Job Keeper with my casual employer since I am employed permanently elsewhere, however I have already started receiving payments. I have received conflicting information about if I am able to transfer my Job Keeper claim from my casual employer to my permanent employer – the ATO says you can't, but my accountant says that until the first claims are put in on Monday, I am allowed to still change. However once Monday comes then it probably is no longer possible if my other employer has already put their claim in.  The form that I filled in is for the employer records only – it does not go to the ATO at any point.  They may have identified me as claiming Job Keeper through them in their software system but this can also be changed. 

So my question is, if anyone can answer, what should I do? Can I change my claim? Will I have to quit my part time job to be eligible? I am earning slightly more from the Job Keeper scheme than I am working permanent part time. If I don't have to refund the Job Keeper money, I will be more financially stable.

If anyone has a similar situation, or any advice they could offer, it would be much appreciated. I'm aware I should have reviewed all the clauses before signing the nomination form, but like I said, up until that point, I had never seen any mention of job conflicts, and had been researching every day since they announced Job Keeper since my primary concern was always multiple job eligibility. I was not contacted about it until a week after the nomination form was submitted.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cegj_ and @aaknes 

Great question,

In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either. You will advise your employer as soon as possible who you receive the JobKeeper payment from that you will need to withdraw and register with your permanent job so they can claim the payment for you. 

Employers now have until 31 May to enrol for April’s subsidy, but they will need to have paid employees by 8 May to enrol.

It is between your casual employer and you to discuss how to pay the amount you have received of JobKeeper payment back, whether that be the full amount or in weekly, fortnightly or monthly installments.

Thank you.

AngelaG

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Replies 0

hi cegj_

You are not alone! I am in the exact situation as you and seeking information! I work more days for my casual position with more income, and the letter from my employer only mentioned that I just needed to nominate them as my primary employer, and to ensure that I'm not claiming from another employer. I believe the application period has been extended to May 31st and the ATO does do back payments, so hopefully everything will turn out okay for us!

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cegj_ and @aaknes 

Great question,

In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either. You will advise your employer as soon as possible who you receive the JobKeeper payment from that you will need to withdraw and register with your permanent job so they can claim the payment for you. 

Employers now have until 31 May to enrol for April’s subsidy, but they will need to have paid employees by 8 May to enrol.

It is between your casual employer and you to discuss how to pay the amount you have received of JobKeeper payment back, whether that be the full amount or in weekly, fortnightly or monthly installments.

Thank you.

AngelaG

Highlighted

Replies 0

Update on my situation:

I resigned from my permanent job in order to claim JobKeeper with my casual job.