Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: Job Keeper: sole trader application

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I am in the same situation. Following.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 4

Seems that businesses or sole traders who lodge via a tax agent may be subject to the 'discretion' of ATO for lodgement of tax return after March. The following is from https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders-and-other-entities/

We have the discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances, including if you:

• did not have a requirement to lodge your 2018-2019 return until after 12 March 2020
  • have deferred your lodgment under an extension of lodgment date we initiated.

Examples include:

• You are included in a registered agent’s lodgement program whereby your lodgement due date is after 12 March 2020.
  • You have an automatic ATO lodgement deferral in place as you were affected by the Australian bushfires in late 2019, and you are not registered or required to be registered for GST, so will not have lodged a BAS before 12 March 2020.
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

As I understand it, sole traders within the first year are not required/advised to make activity statements until the first tax return has been lodged at the first EOFY which hasn't yet occurred for this year. This makes sole traders who have been in operation since July 1st, 2019 ineligible based on what appears to be a technicality regarding activity/statements. 

I don't see why the discretion should only apply to those who have used a registered tax agent as many, like myself, manage my own taxes.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

So are you saying that if you are using a tax agent to prepare your FY19 tax return, the 12 March 2020 requirement does not apply?

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Oh thank you! That wording is new since yesterday. The enrolment form does not include it though, so I guess I'll have to either wait, or see if my tax agent can register for me.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hey There, Thanks so much for this Info - If you find out anything else with regards to how this translates into the online application, let us know as there is currently no option for a ( discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances...) which I am assuming is a commissioner exemption' OR stat dec that exempts those who are doing their tax through a registered agent’s lodgement program OR has an automatic ATO lodgement deferral in place. Confusing stuff and I just don't know why they would make this harder then it already is - IM sure there is a reason none the less. Let's keep each other informed and hope to hear back from someone @ the ATO with a direct answer. 

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I am also in the same position - not registered for gst and my accountant is currently working on my tax return.  fingers crossed for some resolution soon 

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

: I came to Australia on April 2019 and donnot have income on 2018-2019 tax year. I applied ABN on May of 2019 and have get. But I donnot provide any activities to ato. I applied the gst on July last year and got all my invoice.
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 15

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. I can confirm that @jd-one has provided the correct information. We have updated our website to reflect the discretions we can give around the 2018/19 tax return lodgment. All the best to everyone.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi @NicolaATO 

Thanks so much for the update.

However, there still seems to be a lot of confusion for businesses who only started operating this financial year (hence no 2018/19 tax return) and are not required to be registered for GST (hence no BAS).

Could you please provide some clarity here?

Thanks!