Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Job keeper eligibility Jan 2020 on centerlink maternity

Views 497

Replies 4

Hello,

In January 2020 I went on paid maternity leave through centrelink as a sole trader, would I still be eligable for Job Keeper during the period of January 2021, would I just use my centrelink income?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Pebbles123,

To be an eligible business participant, you cannot have received government parental leave or Dad and Partner Pay in or for a fortnight you claim JobKeeper for. 

This means that for the fortnights you receive maternity leave payments from Centrelink, both when the payment relates to and the time you actually receive the payment, you cannot be eligible for JobKeeper.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Pebbles123,

To be an eligible business participant, you cannot have received government parental leave or Dad and Partner Pay in or for a fortnight you claim JobKeeper for. 

This means that for the fortnights you receive maternity leave payments from Centrelink, both when the payment relates to and the time you actually receive the payment, you cannot be eligible for JobKeeper.

Replies 0

Thank you Blake Smiley Happy I looked and I actually didnt recieve it in January as I gave birth at the end very end of the month I got my dates wrong. Thank you I will not claim February onwards. 

Devotee

Replies 1

You can't claim JK at the same time as your clain PPL.

If you are off PPL now and your sole trader business meets all the JK criteria, then you can claim JK (with your income listed as your 2020 PPL income if that is one of the relevant periods of calculation).

If you are going to claim, do so asap, as some of the deadlines are hard deadlines and fast approaching check out more info on this link and also on their "key dates" link https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/

Where your reference periods to calculate your 80-hour threshold were not representative of your usual working conditions, you should look at using an alternative reference period. For you, that means the alternative reference period for less than 80 hours and not representative.

@Pebbles123 wrote:

Hello,

In January 2020 I went on paid maternity leave through centrelink as a sole trader, would I still be eligable for Job Keeper during the period of January 2021, would I just use my centrelink income?

Many thanks.

Replies 0

Great thank you for your reply Smiley Happy I looked and I actually didnt recieve PPL leave in January as I gave birth at the end very end of the month. Thank you I will not claim February onwards.