Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Job keeper - employer asking for me to pay it back

Views 1312

Replies 2

Hi,
Not having much luck with getting an answer with my tricky situation.
I earn less than $1,500 and my employer nominated me for job keeper and at the moment are “topping up” my pay to the $1,500. They have said that in the case that they are not eligible down the track I will have to pay them back the top up difference directly . Let me know what you think, seems unreasonable to me. In summary, if they’re ineligible post covid and have to pay it back, I will be paying it back to my employer. I feel like they should’ve checked eligibility prior to signing me up for the stimulus.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Coco2 

There will be some tolerance where employers, in good faith, estimate a 30 per cent or more or 50 per cent or more fall in turnover but actually experience a slightly smaller fall.

@DuncanS  is correct. The fall in turnover test only needs to be satisfied once. In other words, once they’re eligible, they remain eligible as long as they continue paying their eligible employees at least $1,500 (before tax) per fortnight.

In terms of your employer asking you to pay back your wages you would need to check with Fair Work about the legalities of that.

Thanks, NateH

2 REPLIES 2

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

@Coco2 

It is a difficult time for all.

My understanding is that the fall in revenue criteria only has to be met once.

The most likely being April 2020 v/s April 2019.

There are integrity measures so an employer should be very careful if they are near the 30%. 

I await the ATO's response if the fear of your employer could eventuate.
It may be that an employer lawyer is required.

Duncan

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Coco2 

There will be some tolerance where employers, in good faith, estimate a 30 per cent or more or 50 per cent or more fall in turnover but actually experience a slightly smaller fall.

@DuncanS  is correct. The fall in turnover test only needs to be satisfied once. In other words, once they’re eligible, they remain eligible as long as they continue paying their eligible employees at least $1,500 (before tax) per fortnight.

In terms of your employer asking you to pay back your wages you would need to check with Fair Work about the legalities of that.

Thanks, NateH