Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Job keeper overseas

I'm new

Views 1806

Replies 2

Hi, I’m a sole trader, Australian citizen, getting the Job Keeper Payment. I have an exemption to go overseas for emergency regarding a surgery my mother will have, might stay for a few months. Would I still be able to get the job keeper payment while overseas?? Some says Yes, others say no. I need a correct answer please😊 Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hatata1,

If you are on paid or unpaid leave (such as annual leave) your employer is still required to pay you a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight before tax. We have received a similiar question on this thread that helps answer your question.

We also have further information on employees on leave and their eligibility for JobKeeper in our JobKeeper payment knowledge base article and Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act.

I hope everything goes well with your mother!

Take care.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hatata1,

If you are on paid or unpaid leave (such as annual leave) your employer is still required to pay you a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight before tax. We have received a similiar question on this thread that helps answer your question.

We also have further information on employees on leave and their eligibility for JobKeeper in our JobKeeper payment knowledge base article and Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act.

I hope everything goes well with your mother!

Take care.

Superuser

Replies 0

Hi @hatata1,

One of the main requirements is that you are an Australian resident, but it is important to note that being overseas doesn't necessarily mean you arent eligible to continue to receive the JK payments.

As long as you meet all the sole trader eligibility requirements:

and remain actively engaged, then you would be considered eligible as a sole trader for the JobKeeper payments.

Hope this helps!