Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Job keeper payment cycle

Views 581

Replies 3

My partner has recently been put on jobkeeper, 

he qualifies for the $1200 per fortnight payment. Pay cycle is Wed-Tue (paid Wed)

His job keeper started as of 28th Sept. So far he's received; 

week 1 - no job keeper payment only the 3 days he worked that pay cycle from the previous week. 

week 2 - gross amount less than $600

week 3 - no payment

I'm trying to find information on whether the pay cycle change is allowed as he's recently been told it will be fortnightly? They hadn't previously notified us of the cycle change to fortnightly and wasn't outlined in his letter. Also to whether he has been underpaid (Everyone NOT on jobkeeper are still being paid weekly)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Amelia2

As far as I know, pay cycle changes are allowed as long as the correct Jobkeeper amount is paid to the employee before the cut-off dates (see Jobkeeper key dates link below). The Jobkeeper payment rates are detailed in this link. You seem to be suggesting that your partner is eligible for the top Tier rate for this Extension rate of $1,200. It may be that his employer are getting themselves organised with changing to fortnightly payments, but will hopefully meet the 'wage condition'/Jobkeeper amount (pay eligible employees $1,200 gross per fortnight), in salary or a 'top-up' payment by the end of October (as per Jobkeeper key dates, businesses have until 31 October 2020 to pay Jobkeeper amount).

Is it possible for your partner to ask whether Jobkeeper payment will be included in his salary/wages shortly or before end of this month? You can also check out Paying your eligible employees, where it does mention pay cycles.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Amelia2

As far as I know, pay cycle changes are allowed as long as the correct Jobkeeper amount is paid to the employee before the cut-off dates (see Jobkeeper key dates link below). The Jobkeeper payment rates are detailed in this link. You seem to be suggesting that your partner is eligible for the top Tier rate for this Extension rate of $1,200. It may be that his employer are getting themselves organised with changing to fortnightly payments, but will hopefully meet the 'wage condition'/Jobkeeper amount (pay eligible employees $1,200 gross per fortnight), in salary or a 'top-up' payment by the end of October (as per Jobkeeper key dates, businesses have until 31 October 2020 to pay Jobkeeper amount).

Is it possible for your partner to ask whether Jobkeeper payment will be included in his salary/wages shortly or before end of this month? You can also check out Paying your eligible employees, where it does mention pay cycles.

Replies 1

Hi @WainWright,

Thanks for your response. I've read the links you mentioned and it has cleared up the change in pay cycle, form what I can see they've changed to the wrong fortnight but I'm hoping they'll fix that up when need be at the eom. 
I did however when breaking down the entire month notice that they deducted the previous 3 days actually worked (prior to the 28th and being put on jobkeeper) from the first fortnight payment which gave us the odd payment amount. 
This full fortnight payment has also come through incorrect as far as I'm aware (withheld amount does not match the amount on the fortnight tax table) but we're yet to see the payslip to see why and then waiting until the 31st to see if they top up the possible incorrect payments. 

I guess my main question apart from submitting  a tip off if we still think it's incorrect if it gets to that point would be, when they submit a claim for reimbursement  will the ato pick up if we received the incorrect amounts? 

Thanks 

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Amelia2 ,

Yes - in response to your reply, here are some pts:-

1) As quoted from Paying your eligible employees :-

"You cannot pay your eligible employees less than the JobKeeper amount per fortnight and keep the difference. You will not be eligible for the JobKeeper payment if you pay your eligible employee less than the JobKeeper amount per fortnight." (& 'What you can't do' section on same webpage)

For the 1st round of Jobkeeper, that meant that employees always had to be paid the Jobkeeper amount ($1,500 per f/night gross before Sept 28th) or the applicable Tier rate (gross) in Jobkeeper 2.0.

2) As you have said, may be better to wait until Oct 31st to see if you are being paid the correct amounts. The ATO usually won't be able to investigate this unless there is an audit or complaint. If you believe that your employer is deliberately doing the wrong thing in terms of claiming Jobkeeper amount but not paying the employees enough, then you can go to 'Make a tip-off'.