Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Job seeker payment COVID-19

Views 746

Replies 2

Came back from my accountant. And looks like I won’t be getting much back. As the jobseeker for COVID-19 which was meant to relief people from stress and who are jobless at ease.

Well I was wrong it turned out I have to pay tax on the job seeker payment. In the time of a Global pandemic COVID 19 a virus which is out of our control.

People are laid out of work, are staying inside to stay safe. From the virus.

In a time of need, there’s no real relief from the banks. They expect you to pay the full amount of repayment or if they lower it it’s the same amount as the job seeker payment.

Or hold it for 6 months which will pile on interest towards the end or you current mortgage.Then expect you to pay it up. While you were not working.

Maybe my government will help me in a time of need, struggle, a virus. But nope they will give you money ask you a million questions , then take it back so your back to square 1.

Modern day slavery at its finest. In a 1st world Country. Or is it a 1st world?

We are then for forced to take out our super money. In a time of struggle A life line. Apparently they talking about having no pension by the time we retire.

So thank you to all the dinosaur politicians, the dinosaur law makers. The liberals for things such as the unfair tax bracket. 50k-200k pay 30% tax.

Covid19 payment, job keeper, job seeker, super all trash schemes by a bunch of outdated old timers.

The Logic that went behind it. So Thank you dinosaurs.

We need more forwarding thinking people in the government. Not this old timers time to go.

And if your already rich and well off then you won’t understand where I am coming from.

I am very very upset.

So what is my solution here? Do I keep struggling as expected? Do I need to keep whinging and whining some more ? Before this problem Magically goes away?

Like many Australians who are in the same boat as me struggle on a daily basis. I am not the only one there’s more out their even more worse then me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @MoYusuf,

Thank you for your post. I'm sure there are a lot of people that can relate to your frustration. I'm also sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing during COVID19 pandemic. 

It is important to note that our role at the ATO is to administer the law that is passed in Parliament. While we do have some influence to ensure that it can be implemented, it is ultimately decided upon by Parliament. You can find out more about how laws are made on our website.

If you are wanting to provide feedback you can via our website. To initiate changes in laws that are current you could speak to your local MP.

There is also COVID19 financial assistance information on the Moneysmart website. Please use the link to check what is available to you. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2. 

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @MoYusuf,

Thank you for your post. I'm sure there are a lot of people that can relate to your frustration. I'm also sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing during COVID19 pandemic. 

It is important to note that our role at the ATO is to administer the law that is passed in Parliament. While we do have some influence to ensure that it can be implemented, it is ultimately decided upon by Parliament. You can find out more about how laws are made on our website.

If you are wanting to provide feedback you can via our website. To initiate changes in laws that are current you could speak to your local MP.

There is also COVID19 financial assistance information on the Moneysmart website. Please use the link to check what is available to you. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2. 

Replies 0

Honestly I am mentally drained and exhausted. I honestly don’t care anymore.