Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

JobKeeper | Business monthly declaration

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 240

Replies 3

I am completing the JobKeeper Business Monthly Declaration and I have a question about how to calculate when I am not GST registered.

I have been in operating since the start of the year, February revenue was around $6000, and March revenue was around $4500 and April was $1000 and I project May to be between $0 - $1000
When entering the current GST April turn over and projected May turn over would I put $1000 for April and then whatever i estimate for may? or am I supposed to calculate in another way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @KatrenaFisher 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

You don’t need to be GST registered to calculate your turnover. GST turnover is just how we work out what is included and what is not.

There are a few special situations where we have made available some extra ways of calculating your fall in turnover. This is called the alternative test.;  you can follow the instructions that can assist you.

You only need to satisfy the fall in turnover test once – you don't need to test your turnover in the following months or quarters.

However, there are ongoing monthly turnover reporting requirements.

For more information you can look on our website at: Applying the turnover test for more information. 

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @KatrenaFisher 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

You don’t need to be GST registered to calculate your turnover. GST turnover is just how we work out what is included and what is not.

There are a few special situations where we have made available some extra ways of calculating your fall in turnover. This is called the alternative test.;  you can follow the instructions that can assist you.

You only need to satisfy the fall in turnover test once – you don't need to test your turnover in the following months or quarters.

However, there are ongoing monthly turnover reporting requirements.

For more information you can look on our website at: Applying the turnover test for more information. 

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

HI Mari, 

Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure if the ATO community realises how difficult this experience is to understand. Not all of us are accountants or have our heads around the lingo, that said, during this time some of us also may not be wanting to spend the money on having advice from the accountant when it should be a lot simpler to understand. I have tried to work out the alternative's but I cannot find an example that is even remotely close to mine. This really has to be the worst process for someone to try to understand, adding stress and still only being directed back to the same information that has us confused in the first place. We come to this community for further clarity because these resources that keep being referenced are not helping but it seems that this community is unable to give any clarity around such simple questions. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @KatrenaFisher

Thanks for getting back to us and for your patience.

We know that it can be confusing. While a tax professional can help you with these calculations, we understand that not everyone is in a position to be able to seek that assistance. We also appreciate that not everyone is across the terminology that we use.

Hopefully you have worked it all out since you last posted. If not, we can advise you that turnover is the amount of money that passes through a business during a particular period. You can look up the definition of turnover on our website.

As you are required to look at your GST turnover, as someone who isn't GST registered, you just need to analyse the goods and services your business provides and determine which ones would have required GST to be charged if you were GST registered. If you're not sure, refer to the GST section of our website for guidance.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, Chris