Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: JobKeeper - Mutliple Employers

Highlighted

Replies 4

This is the exact boat I am in - I am actually receiving the payment but scared to use it incase having to pay it all back.

I have one permanent part time employer (not eligible for JK) and one long term casual - where I have been stood down. They are passing on the job keepers to me currently but I was never asked if I was working elsewhere.

It makes sense to me that I should receive it as losing this work has affected my household income and we would be struggling without it but @Chris’ advice seems to state I shouldn’t be receiving it. Would love to have this clarified!
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

@JaneLGreen wrote:
This is the exact boat I am in - I am actually receiving the payment but scared to use it incase having to pay it all back.

I have one permanent part time employer (not eligible for JK) and one long term casual - where I have been stood down. They are passing on the job keepers to me currently but I was never asked if I was working elsewhere.

It makes sense to me that I should receive it as losing this work has affected my household income and we would be struggling without it but @Chris’ advice seems to state I shouldn’t be receiving it. Would love to have this clarified!

To receive JK, you need to have submitted a nomination form to your employer. That form included a declaration from you that you are not employed elsewhere in a permanent capacity.

Highlighted

Replies 1

No - that is not the case. This is the wording in the declaration: 

Only one employer or eligible business can receive the
JobKeeper payment for you. If you have multiple employers,
you must choose a permanent employer. If you are a long‐term
casual employee that is eligible with no permanent employer,
you can nominate your casual employer.

It does not provide the circumstance of having a permanent employer who is not eligible but a long term casual employer who is. 

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

@JaneLGreen the previous poster was correct.

From the declaration;

■ If you are a casual employee as mentioned above, you are not employed by any other employer on a permanent or fixed term
basis, or you are only employed by any other employer on a casual basis.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Unfortunately those with multiple jobs have been ended up worse off because of this scheme sadly.
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

@ChrisATO thank you for answering us all these questions.
I have one more doubt. In my case, I have been stood down from my permanent employer, I haven’t been working or receiving income since last week of March. In this case could I go with my long-term casual employer?
Highlighted

Replies 0

hi there, 

That is a good post. Very helpful.

just one more thing regarding the 4 point "Fixed termed contract and Long Term Casual emplyment"

I am under a fixterm contract till auguest 2020 and I work with government department (health) and as per the rules, even if our department close down we (as employee) will not ne able to take a part in jobkeeper scheme. as any government department will not be able to apply for the scheme. and my second work place where i have been working from over 9 years as a casual employee would like to offer me to take part in jobkeeper from them as i have been with them for such a long period of time, and would like me continue with them. 

so am i eligible to apply for job keeper from my long term casual employer.

please replay. 

as i have to sign the forms and submit it by the end of today.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi -

I work a long-term (over 12 months) casual job, which is my primary place of employment and income where I work 20-25 hours a week. This casual job has closed due to COVID-19 and is eligible for JobKeeper. Alongside this I have a 1-day paid position as an intern on a fixed term contract ending in June. I started this position in January.

Due to COVID-19 I have lost my primary source of income and I only have my 1 day paid internship (not permanent as it is an internship). 

Am I still elegible for JobKeeper?

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hello Chris,

I understand that the reason you are pushed to your primary employer is because its easier you control and no 'double dipping' of the Job Keeper payment and if your Primary job isnt affected you dont get the payment. I have two jobs, a Full Time job and a long term casual job. My primary job is affected with COVID 19 but isnt eligable for the Job Keeper payment. My casual job is eliable for Job Keeper. I have been there over 5 years

Legislation:

The requirement that casual employees cannot nominate with an employer if they were permanently employed by another employer at the time of nomination, ensures that an individual who is employed on a permanent basis (either full time or part time with an employer) must nominate their full time or part time employer under the scheme. This reflects that such employers are likely to be the individual’s ‘primary’ employer, and prevents an individual from nominating a secondary, casual employment position if their primary employment is unaffected.

Individuals with one or more full time or part time jobs are free to nominate any one of those full time or part time jobs. Similarly, individuals with multiple long term casual jobs can nominate any one of those casual jobs.

No where does it state that if your primary employer is affected by COVID 19 but uneligiable for the Job Keeper, that you are not eligiable for the payment. It also doesnt state what unaffected means. This is your interpertation. I have spoken to multiple people from the ATO and they have confirmed this.

Affected - influenced or touched by an external factor.

Unaffected - feeling or showing no effects or changes.

The JobKeeper payment is a subsidy to businesses that is intended to keep more Australian workers in jobs through the course of the Coronavirus outbreak. The JobKeeper payment is aimed at maintaining the connection between employers and employees where the business goes into hibernation or closes down for six months. As the economy recovers from the challenges posed by the Coronavirus, it is intended that the connection maintained between employer and employee will enable business to recommence their operations quickly and productively.

What would you suggest for me to do as I believe I am entitled for the Job Keeper Payment

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Just to gain clarity it on this. I have two employers:

1. Fixed Term Part Time (claim tax-free threshold and not eligible for JobKeeper)

2. Casual (don't claim tax-free threshold and eligible for JobKeeper)

Am I eligible?