Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: JobKeeper Payment Date or Relative Period

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 326

Replies 5

I know this has been asked a number of times but I cannot find a response that actually answers the question.

Scenario - pay period is 23/03/2020 - 29/03/2020 but is not paid until the 31/03/2020.

Is this pay event included in the JobKeeper period?

I believe it shouldn't be as the actual payment period was for work done before 30/03/2020 - There was no overlap between JobKeeper fortnights and the Pay Run period. The next pay run fits perfectly into the JobKeeper fornights.

Could someone please shed some actual light on this question instead of vaguely pointing to the ATO's "Paying your Employees" webpage.

Thank you in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @ACC101 

Thanks for reaching out and we do understand this can get a little confusing.

The pay fortnights for JobKeeper start from 30 March 2020, any period prior to this date is not covered by JobKeeper payments. When paying your eligible employees you may need to re-start or continue to pay all your eligible employees at least $1,500 a fortnight in line with your existing pay cycle through your existing payroll solution.

I hope this helps you and @hazeshenron and clarifies everything, SueO

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 1

I need this question answered too!
I’m the in exact same boat.

Employer says it counts but I spoke with ato on fb messages and they didn’t give me a clear answer but it sounded like it doesn’t count as they can’t claim back wages from pay periods before 30th March.

Ato please answer this as we really need to know
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi Hazeshenron,

I actually spoke with a man from the ATO who said that it specified that the JobKeeper payments can be made for the PERIOD beginning 30 March 2020.

Pay periods before this date are not eligible for the JobKeeper - However, pay periods that fall between these dates are fine.

https://www.business.gov.au/Risk-management/Emergency-management/Coronavirus-information-and-support...

However, I have been dealing with bookkeepers that are adamant that a pay period ending 29/03/2020 but paid 31/03/2020 falls into the JobKeeper scheme. 

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @ACC101 

Thanks for reaching out and we do understand this can get a little confusing.

The pay fortnights for JobKeeper start from 30 March 2020, any period prior to this date is not covered by JobKeeper payments. When paying your eligible employees you may need to re-start or continue to pay all your eligible employees at least $1,500 a fortnight in line with your existing pay cycle through your existing payroll solution.

I hope this helps you and @hazeshenron and clarifies everything, SueO

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Thank you for replying.

So just to confirm you are saying that the payments we received on 31st March and 1st April do NOT count towards the $1500 fortnightly job keeper payment as the PAY PERIODS on our payslips are for the week prior to job keeper?
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

We've published some updated information on this thread: Pay periods vs Pay Dates