Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

JobKeeper Payment Due Dates - Fortnight 3 Onwards

Views 1834

Replies 4

I have a question regarding the payment due dates for the JobKeeper payments.

For fortnight 3 onwards, the payment due date is always a Sunday (10th May, 24th May, 7th June etc), for the fortnight ending the same Sunday (10th May, 24th May, 7th June). I do not understand how employers are meant to process employee wages (a process that can take several days for many business) and calculate any top-up payments and make payments for a fortnight up to and including the due date for payment. This seems unreasonable to expect businesses to pay wages on the last day of a fortnight before that day has even ended. Many businesses pay on a day the following week and would not readily have such payroll information to hand on a Sunday.

Realistically, a business cannot make payment on a Sunday either, and so would need to actually process payments on a Friday in order to have bank payments be processed prior the ATO mandated payment due date of Sunday. This is not feasible for businesses where employees would actually work on the Saturday/Sunday (for example 7/7 rosters).

Some further clarity/leniency from the ATO with regards to the payment due date for the relevant week would be appreciated. I appreciate the hard work that all the ATO representatives are putting in and can understand that it would not have been possible to cover every question/scenario in the original guidance. I am hoping that further guidance can be released to help businesses in this matter as soon as possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

I have found the ATO phone help very helpful. You may need to ring and speak to them. Best to do it outside of normal hours (make use of their extended hours) as they are very overloaded with calls, but helpful when you do get through.

Good luck!

4 REPLIES 4

Devotee

Replies 2

If you process payment for a Sunday banks will only pay on the Monday anyway. So I reckon if you pay on the Monday you will be fine. I can't see the ATO coming after you if you make the actual payment on the Monday, given you have a good explanation and assuming all your other payments are done within the letter of what they want. There will be a lot of businesses in this boat.

Initiate

Replies 1

That might be easy if you have a few employees, but for businesses who have many employees covered by multiple awards I cannot work out how I am meant to process a whole payrun within 1 day. This timeframe is just not possible

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

I have found the ATO phone help very helpful. You may need to ring and speak to them. Best to do it outside of normal hours (make use of their extended hours) as they are very overloaded with calls, but helpful when you do get through.

Good luck!

Replies 0

Completely agree.  I was stupified when I saw the fortnight payment dates.  Its completely unreasonable.  We are only a small business and had not received any verification of eligibility for Jobkeeper until 14th May, so how could I know to pay employees by 10th May.  Quite frustrating.