Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

JobKeeper Primary Employer Eligibility

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 17729

Replies 11

I have two jobs, one, which I will continue to receive income from and the employee is not eligible for the JobKeeper allowance. The other is an eligible employer for the JobKeeper scheme. I meet all the employee critera mentioned in the JobKeeper fact sheets.

How is 'primary employer' defined? My JobKeeper eligible employer is saying I have to change my tax free threshold through them so that I am not claiming the threshold with them to be able to claim through this employer. Is this right? I do not wish to change my tax declaration at either job, and from the information publicly available, I can't find anywhere that says this has to be the case. Is my notification to claim JobKeeper through that employer enough?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 9

@hatchat 

Thank you for contact ATO Community with your questions relating to the JobKeeper payment.

I have read through the Treasury fact sheets as well and it does not mention anywhere that employees need to change their tax free threshold. I suggest that you continue to read the fact sheet regularly.

As such, we are only able to provide information in accordance with the fact sheets published on the Treasury website. We are also ensuring to keep our newsfeed articles on the JobKeeper payment and the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) up to date.

Additionally, if you would like to register your interest for the payment and receive updates, please visit the JobKeeper payment

Yes, JobKeeper payments will be through your current employers.

I hope I have been able to assist you with your questions.

AngelaG

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 9

@hatchat 

Thank you for contact ATO Community with your questions relating to the JobKeeper payment.

I have read through the Treasury fact sheets as well and it does not mention anywhere that employees need to change their tax free threshold. I suggest that you continue to read the fact sheet regularly.

As such, we are only able to provide information in accordance with the fact sheets published on the Treasury website. We are also ensuring to keep our newsfeed articles on the JobKeeper payment and the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) up to date.

Additionally, if you would like to register your interest for the payment and receive updates, please visit the JobKeeper payment

Yes, JobKeeper payments will be through your current employers.

I hope I have been able to assist you with your questions.

AngelaG

Highlighted

Replies 8

Hi Angela, what if our primary employer isn’t offering the job keeper option but our other part time employer is? Can we still receive the payment?
Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

I am in the same situation. I work for a registered charity which so far does not meet the JobKeeper requirement of income being down 15%, therefore cannot claim JobKeeper but my hours have been reduced significantly hence my income is down.

I have a second job that meets the requirement of turnover being down 30%, can I ask this employer to claim JobKeeper for me? I don't know which employer to claim through as my primary employer may meet the threshold soon but I need to nominate one employer.

Can I nominate my second employer?

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 6

Hi @MelissaL @Sarah118

You can be paid from either employer as long as you meet the criteria and only receive it from one employer.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you!
Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi, would you please confirm if by choosing to enrol in this jobkeeper scheme and having to choose who is my primary employer, I would have to disclose to all my employers which companies I am currently working with and/or if the government scheme system automatically discloses this information to each of my employer?

Highlighted

Replies 3

Hi ATO,

I would like to clarify who is the primary employer in my situation:

I have been stood down by my employer with which I have been casually and regularly employed for over 7 years.
I also have a new job that I started in early February 2020 which is a temporary full-time job, but have recently received a 40% cut in hours and pay.

At present, this business does not yet meet the decline in turnover threshold, but I believe that my casual employer would be eligible.

I am unclear on the definition of primary employer.  My casual employer believes that my temporary full-time job would be considered my primary employer because that is my main source of income at the moment, and that I am therefore not able to apply for the JobKeeper scheme through my casual employer.  Is this correct? - Am I eligible to apply for the JobKeeper scheme through my casual employer?

Thanks
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @beepzzz ,@Anaiis & @BJ1971

Welcome to ATO community.

The ATO will not disclose your information between your employers.

If you are employed by more than one employer, you should contact your employers and tell them which employer you want to receive the JobKeeper payment from.

If you are a long-term casual and you have other permanent employment, you must choose your permanent employer – you cannot be nominated by your casual employer.

Here is some information on  Employees with multiple employers that will may find helpful.

Thanks

JoA

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you for your response. However this does not answer my question. I have a long-term casual job and a fixed-term (temporary) job which is an 11-month internship - it is not a permanent job. Am I eligible to apply for the JobKeeper scheme through my casual employer?