Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

JobKeeper, Sole trader, no BAS, and 2019 not lodged (due May 2020)

Initiate

Views 5585

Replies 16

Hello, I am seeking guidance on sole traders and the JobKeeper Scheme.  What happens for those sole traders who are not required to lodge a BAS, and who have not lodged their 2019 tax return as it is not due until 15 May 2020?

Will Commissioner discretion be applied in such instances? Or will there be a requirement to lodge the 2019 return asap and consideration be given to eligibility to the scheme from the lodgement date (and acceptance) by the ATO? For example, Tina is a sole trader and meets all requirements except the 2019 return lodgement.  Tina's return is not due until 15 May 2020.  Tina lodges her return on 25 April 2020.  Will she be able to participate in the Scheme from that date (or JK fortnight after that)?  Any guidance or further information would be most appreciated.  Thanks very much, Mel 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 9

An update has been made on the ATO website however online form doesn't yet reflect this. 

We have the discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances, including if you:

• did not have a requirement to lodge your 2018-2019 return until after 12 March 2020
  • have deferred your lodgment under an extension of lodgment date we initiated.

Examples include:

• You are included in a registered agent’s lodgement program whereby your lodgement due date is after 12 March 2020.
  • You have an automatic ATO lodgement deferral in place as you were affected by the Australian bushfires in late 2019, and you are not registered or required to be registered for GST, so will not have lodged a BAS before 12 March 2020.
16 REPLIES 16

Initiate

Replies 0

I'm also interested in this scenario. return not due yet, should be taken into consideration?

Replies 1

Thanks for posting this question. I raced to lodge my return during the week because the ATO website as late as Tuesday didn't specify a 12 March deadline, only that you had to have lodged your return for 18-19 FY.

Initiate

Replies 0

Business portal open for jobkeeper registrations now!

Initiate

Replies 0

Hello, 

I am also in the same position and would appreciate clarification on this given lodgement due date is not until mid May. 

Attempted to call but unable to get through. 

Thanks, 

Replies 0

Yes I also need a response on this

Initiate

Replies 10

Also in this boat. Have asked on the main post but haven't heard back, can't get through on the phone either. 😕

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 9

An update has been made on the ATO website however online form doesn't yet reflect this. 

We have the discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances, including if you:

• did not have a requirement to lodge your 2018-2019 return until after 12 March 2020
  • have deferred your lodgment under an extension of lodgment date we initiated.

Examples include:

• You are included in a registered agent’s lodgement program whereby your lodgement due date is after 12 March 2020.
  • You have an automatic ATO lodgement deferral in place as you were affected by the Australian bushfires in late 2019, and you are not registered or required to be registered for GST, so will not have lodged a BAS before 12 March 2020.

Initiate

Replies 7

Thanks for the info, the enrolment form hasn't yet updated though 

Has there been any word from the ATO on whether we ought to proceed to enrol checking the yes option as it stands or wait until we can make a correct declaration about the tax return for that period on the form?

Replies 6

I second this.
We are pushed to this community forum because we can't get answers by other means (eg it's impossible to get through via phone) but there's still no clarity when we're trying to do the right thing.
I'm almost inclined to tick yes despite tax return not being lodged by 12 March and deal with wrath later on. At least there will be food on my family's table in the meantime.