Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: JobKeeper, Sole trader, no BAS, and 2019 not lodged (due May 2020)

Community Moderator

Replies 5

Hi @MelB, @hellothere, @MC1, @ebird, @sksaunders and @Glen_yo

Thanks to everyone for reaching out to us.

@ebird is correct. We have now updated our information around what discretion we have for businesses that have more time to lodge. You can find that information on the sole traders and other entities page on our website.

We are aware that the JobKeeper Payment enrolment form doesn't reflect this and are currently working on getting that changed. Keep your eyes on our forum and website as we expect to have some updated information about that soon.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 1

Same question here regarding a late lodgement of FY18/19 tax return.

My wife started her business as a sole trader early last year and didn't lodge her first tax return till this week. Actually she have been trying to link her ATO account to myGov but its always shown as insufficient identification and told my wife to call ATO.

Here came into a problem my wife is deaf and speech impaired so she can never make a phone call.  

I am wondering if there will be more exemption for the late lodgement to those have extreme differeniculties in do tax return.

Thanks

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MelB @Roxy58 @Glen_yo @EddieChan  

Apologies for the delay in responding, we do understand this is a difficult and confusing time.

We have recently updated our website with additional information to apply for the Commissioner’s discretion in regards to the lodgment requirement for sole traders, and a link to the application form.

I hope this helps and thank you all for your patience and understanding, SueO

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi Chris from the ATO, 

Thanks for the reply. That is great news.  To clarify, should we be applying for our clients in this situation (those who have until after 12 March 2020 to lodge) even though the wording has not been updated? Or wait until the wording correctly reflects this change?

Thanks again, MelB 

Initiate

Replies 1

@ChrisATO 

thanks for the response has there been any news here?

the form is still not updated to reflect any changes but I notice I can't nominate for the month of March anymore which is worrying 

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi Glen_yo, I ended up calling the ATO this week and was advised to enrol (despite the wording not being updated).  Hope this helps, MelB 

Replies 0

So as a registered tax agent, I've enrolled all of my eligible clients.  But still lodging tax returns for some - I had applied for extensions due to ill health (mine).  Is there something else I have to do to ensure they receive their job keeper payments and cash flow boost?