Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

JobKeeper & JobSeeker - sole trader with no employees

Highlighted

Views 354

Replies 4

Hi there,

I'm a sole trader with no employees and lost 100% of business since March as a result of Covid-19.

I believe as a result I can get both JobKeeper (as an Eligible Business Participant) and JobSeeker on the proviso that I report the $1,500 from JobKeeper as fortnightly income to Centrelink. Is this correct? 

I've tried to call Centrelink to ask and can't get through. Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @pennyob,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing due to COVID-19. You can apply for JobKeeper payments for sole traders. The guide will assist you with this.

The JobSeeker payment is paid through Services Australia. However, most people cannot receive both, check via the links. Thank you for the response below, hence this post is now updated. Hopefully others may benefit as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @pennyob,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing due to COVID-19. You can apply for JobKeeper payments for sole traders. The guide will assist you with this.

The JobSeeker payment is paid through Services Australia. However, most people cannot receive both, check via the links. Thank you for the response below, hence this post is now updated. Hopefully others may benefit as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @pennyob,

I have viewed the links you provided. Most people cannot receive both, however, there is information to suggest an exception to this. 

The response you highlighted can be used. 'You may be eligible for both, you will just need to report the JobKeeper income to Centrelink which may affect the amount of money you receive from them.' NateH.

Regards,

JodieR

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thanks Jodie