Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

JobKeeper - full time and casual work for same employer, am I eligible?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 230

Replies 3

Ok here’s my unfortunate situation I fall into;

Hired April 2019 as a full time permanent employee, March 23rd 2020 I had to request to step down to casual to be able to look after my kids being home. Government criteria states “as at March 1st you were employed... “ I was a full time employee on that date for the previous 10-11 months and the next coming 3 weeks before temporarily closing.. should I be judged as that for job seeker eligibility? I worked as a casual for one week March 19th-22nd, before I closed our store, so all work commenced in the business (minus that 1 week) was on my full time employment. The business is still closed due to covid 19 response. I am still employed and they are eligible for the job seeker scheme.

Am I eligible based of what I was hired on the date on March 1st?

Really need to get some clarity over this as we are all confused on where I fall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jrobtat

You mention ‘contract’ and ‘employee’ which doesn’t make things clear.

However, the following information about employees on a fixed term contract might be useful to you. It mentions:

“Fixed-term contractors are eligible for the JobKeeper payment if they were employed at 1 March 2020 and meet the other eligibility criteria for the JobKeeper payment. If your contract ends and is renewed before 27 September 2020, the JobKeeper payment will only be available for the fortnights where the employment relationship exists until 27 September 2020.”

Essentially, to be eligible for the JobKeeper payment your employer will need to nominate you. Have a chat to your employer. Per the eligibility information, if you were permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020 then you meet that eligibility criterion.

It may help you determine your eligibility (re employee v contractor) if you check the information about Working.

Additionally, there is information available to businesses about Employees versus contractors.

Hopefully this helps

Gus

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jrobtat

You mention ‘contract’ and ‘employee’ which doesn’t make things clear.

However, the following information about employees on a fixed term contract might be useful to you. It mentions:

“Fixed-term contractors are eligible for the JobKeeper payment if they were employed at 1 March 2020 and meet the other eligibility criteria for the JobKeeper payment. If your contract ends and is renewed before 27 September 2020, the JobKeeper payment will only be available for the fortnights where the employment relationship exists until 27 September 2020.”

Essentially, to be eligible for the JobKeeper payment your employer will need to nominate you. Have a chat to your employer. Per the eligibility information, if you were permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020 then you meet that eligibility criterion.

It may help you determine your eligibility (re employee v contractor) if you check the information about Working.

Additionally, there is information available to businesses about Employees versus contractors.

Hopefully this helps

Gus

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Hello,
Thank you for your response. I realised I had worded that wrong. I was hired as a full time permanent employee April 15th 2019 and worked as that until March 23rd 2020. The legislation refers to your employment “ as on March 1st 2020 “ would this mean I was a full time employee as should be judged on that basis? I asked to be a casual starting from March 23rd 2020 and only worked one week in this role before I closed the shop temporarily for the covid 19 response.
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jrobtat

Thanks for getting back to us.

The fact that you changed from full time to casual on 23 March 2020 doesn't matter because you were a full time employee of your employer on 1 March 2020. What this means is that the long-term casual 12 month rule doesn't apply to you. In turn, you have met this requirement.

If you meet the other eligible employee requirements and your employer meets the eligible employer requirements as outlined on our website, your employer can claim the JobKeeper Payment for you.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR