Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

JobKeeper - notification to employees within 7 days of monthly report?

Views 2305

Replies 13

I have recently been advised that under section 11 of the Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Rules 2020, it is necessary for an employer to advise employees in writing within 7 days of submitting each monthly report to the Commissioner - is this correct?   Or do you only need to notify the employees in writing once after the initial enrolment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @KMStar @DebbieR1 and @AKS,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The website advises - From 1 May 2020, you must inform your relevant employees of your election to participate in JobKeeper within seven days of enrolment and detail the steps the employee must take to agree to be nominated. If you had already enrolled on or before 1 May 2020, you needed to satisfy this requirement by 8 May 2020.

If you enrolled:

• between 19 April 2020 and 1 May 2020, and already provided all of your relevant employees with an Employee nomination notice, you have met the requirement to notify all of your relevant employees
  • on or after 1 May 2020 you must provide an Employee nomination notice to all of your relevant employees within seven days of enrolling.

If you have not provided all of your relevant employees with an employee nomination notice within seven days of enrolling to receive JobKeeper payments, you need to do this as soon as possible.

The employee only completes the nomination notice once after you inform them you have enrolled for Jobkeeper.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.  

13 REPLIES 13

Devotee

Replies 6

That section doesn't apply to employees it is only for eligible business participant.

Replies 2

Sorry, should have been section 6 not section 11 - same wording

Devotee

Replies 1

So it will be when you actually enrol them, pointless provision when the employer has to get the employee nomination form. 

Devotee

Replies 0

Hello,

The Tax Institute said that it needs to be done as part of the notification requirements of the Rules. This is to let employees know that you have claimed them for the fortnights of that particular month and advised the ATO of their details. I am not sure of the exact reason why you need to tell employees each month but they did say that you must do so.

Any thoughts?

Devotee

Replies 2

Hello,

Are you certain that this isn't for employees? As information I received last week said 'notify employee that they have been nominated and their details have been provided to the ATO' - action by 'within 7 days of providing their information to the ATO'. Also, this information provided that this needed to be done every month during Jobkeeper program.

Devotee

Replies 1

That is not what the law says because the requirement is when you enrol for Jobkeeper you nominate the jobkeeper fortnight you don't notify the ATO again until the employee is no longer eligible. 

Devotee

Replies 0

Thank you for this.

I needed to check as I don't want to 'not notify' employees and then the ATO to say that employer did not fulfil all necessary requirements under JK rules.

Former Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @DebbieR1 I'm looking into this for you just to be sure.

Replies 3

Thank you NicolaATO that would be appreciated.