Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

JobKeeper payments - 3 payments in April

I'm new

Views 2730

Replies 12

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me as I have tried to find a definative answer for the last couple of hours with no luck Smiley Sad

I have a casual employee who is eligible for JobKeeper but I am unsure if I have paid them enough for April.

In April, I have made payments for these pay periods:

For work performed 14/03 to 27/03 under $1,500 gross paid 2nd of April (excluding super guarantee)

For work performed 28/03 to 10/04 under $1,500 gross paid 16th of April (excluding super super guarantee)

For work performed 11/04 to 24/04 over $1,500 gross to be paid 30th of April (excluding super super guarantee)

Some places I read say that I need to pay $3,000 for April - I have paid more than $3,000 in April but some of the work paid in April is from before March 30, so I don't think that covers it?

The second and third payments in April add to just short of $3,000.

Should I be doing a top-up payment so the second and third payments add to $3,000? Or should I pay a top-up for the amount the second payment is under $1,500? Or am I okay because payments in April add to over $3,000 even though the pay period is before 30 March?

I don't want to leave my employee short of what they are entitled to or miss out on the jobkeeper payment....

Thanks in advance for your help Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 10

Hi @Rachel-B and @hazeshenron ,

Please refer to Paying your eligible employees

How to pay

You need to re-start or continue to pay all your eligible employees at least $1,500 a fortnight in line with your existing pay cycle through your existing payroll solution.

When to pay

You should pay your employees for each JobKeeper fortnight you plan to claim for. The first fortnight is from 30 March – 12 April and each JobKeeper fortnight follows after that.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by 8 May. This means that you can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight by 8 May, or a combined payment of at least $3,000.

For the third fortnight (27 April – 10 May) you must pay your eligible employees by 10 May.

Related to your situation below:

• For work performed 14/03 to 27/03 under $1,500 gross paid 2nd of April (excluding super guarantee)

- 14/03 to 27/03 is before the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March - 12 April 2020) this is not

included in the minimum $1500 per fortnight or combined payment of at least $3000 by 8 May requirement

• For work performed 28/03 to 10/04 under $1,500 gross paid 16th of April (excluding super guarantee)

- the payment related to the 28/03 and 29/03 is not included in the first JobKeeper fortnight. The payment

related to work performed from 30/03 to 10/04 is within the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March - 12 April)

• For work performed 11/04 to 24/04 over $1,500 gross to be paid 30th of April (excluding super guarantee)

- The full $1500 payment falls within JobKeeper fortnights 1 and 2 (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April)

but the total of payments relevant to the JobKeeper fortnights (the second and third payments in April) add

to just short of $3,000.

Please make a top-up payment to ensure the minimum amount is paid and you remain eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.

Thanks for posting and let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT

12 REPLIES 12

Enthusiast

Replies 0

I’m interested in this answer. I’m in the same position but I’m an employee.

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 10

Hi @Rachel-B and @hazeshenron ,

Please refer to Paying your eligible employees

How to pay

You need to re-start or continue to pay all your eligible employees at least $1,500 a fortnight in line with your existing pay cycle through your existing payroll solution.

When to pay

You should pay your employees for each JobKeeper fortnight you plan to claim for. The first fortnight is from 30 March – 12 April and each JobKeeper fortnight follows after that.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by 8 May. This means that you can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight by 8 May, or a combined payment of at least $3,000.

For the third fortnight (27 April – 10 May) you must pay your eligible employees by 10 May.

Related to your situation below:

• For work performed 14/03 to 27/03 under $1,500 gross paid 2nd of April (excluding super guarantee)

- 14/03 to 27/03 is before the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March - 12 April 2020) this is not

included in the minimum $1500 per fortnight or combined payment of at least $3000 by 8 May requirement

• For work performed 28/03 to 10/04 under $1,500 gross paid 16th of April (excluding super guarantee)

- the payment related to the 28/03 and 29/03 is not included in the first JobKeeper fortnight. The payment

related to work performed from 30/03 to 10/04 is within the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March - 12 April)

• For work performed 11/04 to 24/04 over $1,500 gross to be paid 30th of April (excluding super guarantee)

- The full $1500 payment falls within JobKeeper fortnights 1 and 2 (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April)

but the total of payments relevant to the JobKeeper fortnights (the second and third payments in April) add

to just short of $3,000.

Please make a top-up payment to ensure the minimum amount is paid and you remain eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.

Thanks for posting and let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT

Enthusiast

Replies 1

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for your reply to our questions about the payments for wages for pay periods prior to 30th March.

I’m an employee and my employer has told me she claimed for this pay and has not topped me up. So now she will receive $1500 for the pay date 1st April for work period 23/3 - 29/3. She cannot claim this as you said it’s for periods prior to 30th March however what can I do now? My employer hasn’t paid me for April pay periods yet claimed she has due to that payment on 1st April so she will receive reimbursement for wages she didn’t pay me. She has made it clear that the payment was included in what she needed to pay for April yet she is incorrect and had already claimed this.

Is there any way the ATO can actually tell that this payment she is claiming is for the pay periods of 23/3 - 29/3 to see she is trying to claim for something she shouldn’t??

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hazeshenron,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Please refer to Paying your eligible employees for information on the requirements for employers to receive JobKeeper Payment. I've included the most relevant paragraphs below.

You need to pay all your eligible employees at least the minimum amount of $1,500, even if they earn less than this per fortnight. You cannot pay your employees less than $1,500 per fortnight and keep the difference. You will not be eligible for the JobKeeper payment if you pay your nominated employee less than $1,500 per fortnight.

When to pay

How much to pay

You must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. You should also consider your obligations under the Fair Work Act 2009 to pay each eligible employee the minimum $1,500 (before tax) each fortnight. For more information, see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act

Your employer will not be able to claim JobKeeper Payment for the work period you've advised.

At Step 2 of the enrolment process: Update each eligible employee in your payroll software your employer is required to Select the month you are identifying eligible employees to claim for. You could be identifying eligible employees for payments made in April or May 2020.

Select the month you are identifying eligible employees to claim for. You could be identifying eligible employees for payments made in April or May 2020.

Select the month you are applying for the JobKeeper wages subsidy*

-Select a month-

April 2020
Fortnight 1: 30March - 12 April
Fortnight 2: 13 April - 26 April

May 2020
Fortnight 3: 27 April - 10 May
Fortnight 4: 11 May - 24 May

If your employer is doing the wrong thing in relation to JobKeeper payment, you can tell us about it. To report illegal or behaviour of concern, see making a tip off

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT

Replies 5

Hi JasonT,

I am just wanting to confirm the Jobkeeper 2.0 terms are the same as the terms you provided back on 7th May.   My scenario is the same as your first example there, except for the gross sum.  I worked up until 31st July and was stood down.  I was paid for the pay period 20/7/20 to 2/8/20 into my bank account on 5/8/20. The gross sum for that fortnight was above $1500.  My employer is advising I cannot receive the first jobkeeper as the payment was made (into bank account 5/8) during the first fortnight of it (3/8-16/8).  Looking at your example, I should have received it (or is above $1500 gross an issue?) because the payment relates to the period prior to the first JK 2.0 period.   I have put this to my payroll, but they are adament this is not correct, and they will pay me after this period.    Can you confirm if 1/ I am correct?   And 2/ what can I give to my payroll (document, link,?) to convince them I am eligible?   This communication has been given to all our employees in the same position (Paid 5/8 for previous fortnight).

Replies 0

My daughter worked from 27/7 - 2/8 and was paid on the 4th August.  Her employer enrolled her for job keeper starting FN 10 whic is 3/8-16/8 and they Have included her pay from the fortnight before she was nominated for job keeper as part of her job keeper payment. We have spoken to Fair work who has advised us they can not include her pay from fortnight before jobkeeperas she has then essentially worked the fortnight before for no pay. Her employer is adamant that this is not correct and they are allowed to include her pay from the week before as part of jobkeeper

please help to answer this question

ATO Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Anthony_B & @Akat

I think both your questions go to the understanding of JobKeeper fortnights. It is worth remembering also that JobKeeper is a reimbursement to the employer. For them to receive this though they must undertake to pay the minimum amount as we outline.

@Akat I do agree that 20 July – 2 August wages to qualify for Jobkeeper would have needed to be paid by 2 August. So for the employer those wages would be outside of JobKeeper.

The employer can still have his employee work to the value of those JobKeeper payments.If employees work in excess of or have other entitlements then it will be as  per what Fair Work  outlines. Employers may be required to top up the wages accordingly. Fair Work does offer a dispute resolution also if that became necessary.

If you see JobKeeper fortnights It may be of help to understand what the employer is doing. However all said and done this does not remove the obligation for employers to still pay employees for hours worked to the value of JobKeeper or if stood down the minimum reimbursements to pass on for each of these periods.

Replies 2

Thanks @MarkATO

cc @Akat 

Certainly seems to be some confusion amongst the ATO.  Just a FYI - As I did not receive a response last week, I contacted the ATO and the Jobkeeper team customer service directly.  I explained the scenario and was informed the JK eligibilty was on the period for which you are paid, not the date of payment for the period.  Under the latter scenario, you are being penalised for your employer's payroll cycle, which in some cases may even be a monthly payroll.  I went back to my employer who in turn also went to the ATO to confirm what I was told.  I appreciate you coming back with the information, but it does not match what we were told on our phone enquiry.

Replies 1

Hi 

I am so so confused and ATO told me to call fair work who went through it with me and said we are correct

20/7- 02/08 worked but this is NOT a job keeper fortnight.

4/8 paid wages for fortnight above - $1133.92

14/08 paid job keeper top up $366.08

3/8/-16th worked (jobkeeper fornight being claimed by employer 

18/8 paid wages 283.48 (they put het to work only 2 days this fortnight as they were not sure if they were claiming job keeper they said and once it was confirmed would put her back to full time.