Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

JobKeeper requirement as employer

Highlighted

Views 323

Replies 4

Hi there,

I’m wondering as an employer who has enrolled for JobKeeper;

I have enrolled and nominated 1x directly involved partner of our partnership to receive jobkeeper payments.

I note the “one in, all in” policy for “employees” under job keeper requires employers not to pick and choose which eligible employees are enrolled - all of them must be enrolled.

My question is, as an employer who has enrolled a partner/business participant for payments, and cannot afford to pay eligible employees $1500/fortnight in advance, I have enrolled zero eligible employees. This is in accordance with the one in; all in policy. I have not found anywhere on any site or board that states you MUST participate in jobkeeper for eligible employees, but rather that you must not pick and choose between them, and you must inform them and ask them at the point of enrolment. Am I correct in regards to this?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 1

Interisting question I think that you can do that here are the rules. 

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L00419

Don't take offense of the comment below I am just saying it is something that you may have not been aware.  

Saying that you cannot afford that is what the banks are there for with bridging finance even the government has said the banks will work with the businesses as the government guarantees the loans. To get a bridging finance all you do is take the registration details that you have registered and the list of your eligible employees. I don't know have all the employees stood down but if your business is still operating your employees will be basically working for free as you will be reimbursed by the government. It is a win-win situation for everyone. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

No JobKeeper is not compulsary. I would question if you are claiming for one person in the partnership and not the employees however? Maybe look into what is the latest you can pay the employees and the earliest you can be reimbursed and see if you could make it would. It would obviously be good for your business perhaps if you could.

Highlighted

Replies 0

I understand that job keeper is not compulsory; this is not my question. I am questioning exactly as you are questioning; enrolling a partner without enrolling employees.

You are required to pay employees the minimum $1500/fortnight in advance - you are not required to do so for a nominated partner.

Thank you.
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 1

Interisting question I think that you can do that here are the rules. 

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L00419

Don't take offense of the comment below I am just saying it is something that you may have not been aware.  

Saying that you cannot afford that is what the banks are there for with bridging finance even the government has said the banks will work with the businesses as the government guarantees the loans. To get a bridging finance all you do is take the registration details that you have registered and the list of your eligible employees. I don't know have all the employees stood down but if your business is still operating your employees will be basically working for free as you will be reimbursed by the government. It is a win-win situation for everyone. 

Highlighted

Replies 0

Great, thank you for that.