Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

JobKeeper

Views 1556

Replies 6

The steps on the Enrol for JobKeeper form, says that step 3 is to continue to pay your employees at least $1,500 per JobKeeper fortnight, the first fortnight being 30.03 - 12.04. Does this mean Employers will need to pay their employees the $1,500 before they even recieve the JobKeeper payment? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @TiarnaJenkins 

Yes, employers cannot claim the JobKeeper payment in advance. The JobKeeper payment is a reimbursement from us to an employer in arrears, and cannot be paid in advance.

Further information is provided on our website around paying eligible employees, which you might find helpful.

Thanks,

TYay

6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @TiarnaJenkins 

Yes, employers cannot claim the JobKeeper payment in advance. The JobKeeper payment is a reimbursement from us to an employer in arrears, and cannot be paid in advance.

Further information is provided on our website around paying eligible employees, which you might find helpful.

Thanks,

TYay

Replies 4

So employers need to pay their employees $1,500 a fortnight from the 30/03 all while their turnover has dropped over 50% and cannot afford to do that? Just to confirm, this JobKeeper payment doesn't come in until May but employers still have to pay their stood down employee's any way just to be eligible?

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @TiarnaJenkins

Thanks for your reply.

That is correct. The JobKeeper Payment is a reimbursement scheme. You must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. We will then pay you for each eligible employee monthly in arrears beginning in May 2020.

For more information about the amount of JobKeeper payment that you will be able to receive for each eligible employee, refer to our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 2

Hi Christ,

I have been working as a casual staff 12 - 16 hours / week for the company for more than 2 years. For the last 3 months I have seen the business slowing down substantially. However, I talked with the boss about jobkeeper on Tuesday 21/4, he said he is not interested in the subsidy. What should I do to find out whether the company is eligible for the payment and request the boss act to help me and other workers?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Replies 0

Sorry, it should be ChrisR rather than Christ.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Moto-C,

Thanks for your question and sorry for the delay in response.

Enrolment in the JobKeeper Payment scheme is not compulsory for employers. The purpose of the scheme is to assist eligible employers to continue to pay their eligible employees and restart quickly when the crisis is over.

Not all employers are eligible for JobKeeper, so not all employers will increase the pay of those earning less than $1,500 a fortnight. One of the requirements is that the business has suffered a significant downturn, generally at least 30% for most businesses and at least 50% for larger businesses.

Employers can choose to participate in the scheme and then nominate all the employees they are entitled to claim for. An employer can choose not to participate in the JobKeeper payment.

We provide other support for individuals and employees affected by COVID-19 and Services Australia may be able to help too.

Thanks for posting,

JasonT