Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

JobSeeker plus Jobkeeper, is that ok?

Highlighted

Views 165

Replies 1

Hi community

I’m a sole trader that ran completely out of work since the end of March due to COVID-19.

A while ago, ATO website was saying that only people who lodged their taxes before the 12th of March would be able to get JobKeeper. I think that has been changed now, but, back in that day, that made me panic an apply for JobSeeker asap, since that wasn’t backdated.

On Sunday 3rd or May I got my JobSeeker confirmed and the first payment came through on Monday. On Tuesday 5th I called the ATO and it seems like now I’ll get JobKeeper as well, still TBC.

If JobKeeper does kick in, do I give up Centrelink then? Or is it perfectly ok to receive both, as long as I declare the $1500 from JobKeeper as income on the next Centrelink declaration?

I called the ATO yesterday and the person freaked out saying that getting both could incur in MASSIVE PENALTIES, which scared me, of course.

Obviously, I don’t want to be in any sort of debt, since I’ve never owed anything to anyone.

Cheers,

Henri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Champion

Replies 0

You cant recieve both JKP and JSP. You need to report JKP through JSP. When you report 6 FN in a row your JSK gets cancelled.

How it affects your income support payment

Make sure you report any income you or your partner get from your employer. This includes JobKeeper payment. If you don’t report it as income, we will pay you too much and you may have a debt to pay back.

When you report income, we may give you a lower rate or stop your payment if your income is too high.

Read about how to report income.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Champion

Replies 0

You cant recieve both JKP and JSP. You need to report JKP through JSP. When you report 6 FN in a row your JSK gets cancelled.

How it affects your income support payment

Make sure you report any income you or your partner get from your employer. This includes JobKeeper payment. If you don’t report it as income, we will pay you too much and you may have a debt to pay back.

When you report income, we may give you a lower rate or stop your payment if your income is too high.

Read about how to report income.