Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper - 30% decline in turnover reporting

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 271

Replies 1

Hi,

Some very conflicting information on your website in regards to eligibility for the Jobkeeper and the 30% drop in turnover. I'm seeking to get some clarification on this. 

On one hand you state this, "If you work out that you qualify for JobKeeper payments for the first fortnight because your turnover has declined by the relevant amount, you remain eligible and do not need to keep testing turnover in following months. However, you will have ongoing monthly reporting requirements."  https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/eligible-employers/

On the Jobkeeper application form under the business monthly declaration it states, "Each month, you must reconfirm the eligibility of your business and your reported eligible employees. You must also provide your current and projected GST turnover. This is not a retest of your eligibility, but rather an indication of how your business is performing. 

So my question is around the statement above "you must reconfirm you eligibility of your business" Does this mean your business must have a 30% decline in turnover each month (compared to the same period in 2019) to remain eligible to receive the Jobkeeper payment?

Also, what happens if my business turnover does increase in the next month or so (while I'm receiving Jobkeeper) as things start to go back to normal? I note there is no "Opt out" for Jobkeeper and I don't want to be penalised if my turnover does not satisfy the 30% drop each month. 

Please provide clarification on this as I have also called the ATO and the person I spoke to agreed it was unclear and he couldn't tell me the answer.

Regards,

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 0

The answer is no once you satisfy the test you don't need to satisfy the test again this has been stated over and over again the law says no. The reason why you have to confirm your eligibility because you may have closed the business down so have to report to the ATO that they are no longer eligible and not everyone has STP so you have to manually add or remove employees. There are probable more situations. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 0

The answer is no once you satisfy the test you don't need to satisfy the test again this has been stated over and over again the law says no. The reason why you have to confirm your eligibility because you may have closed the business down so have to report to the ATO that they are no longer eligible and not everyone has STP so you have to manually add or remove employees. There are probable more situations.