Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper Casual employee

Community Moderator

Replies 4

Hi @winecfo

Thanks for joining the conversation.

We have some information on our website about who is considered a long-term casual employee that you can check out. We suggest that you have a look at the examples.

It is important to note that a casual employee is likely to be employed on a regular and systematic basis with a recurring work schedule or a reasonable expectation of ongoing work. What that means is that you don't necessarily need to be doing lots of hours to be eligible. Where there is a pattern of work with hours offered and accepted regularly, that would indicate that you're eligible.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 3

Hi - what about a scenario where there is a casual employee who has worked for years but may have periods where they don't work at all.  For example a parent may work during school term but not during school holidays?

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @JBJ,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay.

If you have been employed by your employer for over 12months on a consistent working arrangement, you are considered to be employed for that period of time as there was a reasonable expectation of ongoing work.

We have information about who is considered a long-term casual employee on our website.

Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act.

I hope this helps.

Replies 1

Thanks @Alyce but the guidance doesn't include any examples of staff having breaks in work, and whether this implies an 'inconsisten' arrangement.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JBJ

Thanks for reaching out again.

A clear pattern or roster of hours is strong evidence of regular and systematic employment even if staff take leave for school holidays as you have mentioned..

The term 'regular' implies a repetitive pattern and does not mean frequent, often, uniform or constant.

The term 'systematic' requires that the engagement be 'something that could fairly be called a system, method or plan'.

Where there is no clear pattern or roster, evidence of regular and systematic employment can be established where:

• the employer offered suitable work when it was available at times that the employee had generally made themselves available, and
  • work was offered and accepted regularly enough that it could no longer be regarded as occasional or irregular

You need to assess if your employees work history over the relevant 12 months is deemed systematic and regular based on the guidance available. The above information has been provided by the Fair Work Commission and all previous links should be able to assist you as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ari

Initiate

Replies 1

Provided you are paid $1500 per fortnight through the month of April by your employer you will be eligible.

I'm new

Replies 0

Billymc, your answer is incorrect. Employer payments through the month of April have no affect on eligibility.

Replies 1

I feel your pain. I worked for 8 months so I wont get squat.

Replies 0

I wont get jobseekers either so I am praying that I can access my super to buy me time to find a job.